Wednesday 27 July 2011

Electric Chain Saws - electric chain saws, chain saws


This is really a powerful electric chain saw. Took down a 12 inch oak tree with no problem. The tension control feature and automatic oiler are a real plus and time saver. It does weigh a bit more than most electric chain saws but, then again, it has more horsepower. Be sure you pull the protection bar all the way toward you until you hear it click or the saw will not start. Out of the box, the protection bar appears to be all the way back but it's not, it still has one click to go before the saw will operate. I would definitely recommend this saw. Poulan PLN3516F 16-Inch 3.5 HP Electric Chain Saw

Owned 2 gas chainsaws and a Craftsman electric chainsaw and there is no comparison, this chainsaw is awesome.



I thought I would wear out the easy dial to tighten but I was wrong.



Oregon S54 14"/16" chain fits and lasts the longest for me. Fits tight on loosest setting so when the chain stretches you have a long way to go before you have to replace it.



The engineers at Poulan are awesome and so is the management. Nowadays you see too many managers judging engineers on how much money they can save the company by cutting corners and I commend Poulan.

Picked this up a Lowes to cut down a "weed" tree that we let get far too big (because we liked the shade) between our neighbor's fence and our fence (and engulfing our chain link fence and starting to push up their patio). It was cheaper than finding and then paying someone to do it for us.



It worked well. Plenty of power. Gave my arms quite a workout. It seemed to just stop working once, but turned out to be the safety handle out of position. The chain came off the drive a couple of times, but it went back on easy enough. The chain had to be sharpened a lot, but that was due to my hitting dirt frequently to get as much of the root system I could out, so I cannot blame the chain, however finding a replacement chain was a challenge.



Per the manual, the chain is 16" with 55 Drive Links. Part # 966-051601

0.05 gauge 3/8" pitch



Per Oregon's website, this is the replacement chain for this Poulan PLN3516F: Oregon 16-Inch Semi Chisel Chain Saw Chain Fits McCulloch, Stihl S55. I ordered this from Amazon and it was the same size and it fit onto this PLN3156F pefectly.



Note that I found it easiest to put the chain onto the bar while it was OFF the rest of the chainsaw and then put it around the drive as I pushed the bar onto it's mount, both at the same time.



A replacement bar is P/N 966-051301



It did not come with bar oil, so I had to goto the local True Value and pick a bottle up for 4 bucks.



Now I just have to find the time to clean it, ugh.

This chainsaw is very sharp and last a while. The only problem I have is that I can't find the exact chain replacement from Poulan. I've found Oregon chain equivalent which I found not as sharp as the original.

After going through about four chain saws in 25 years I finally got tired of mixing gas/oil and decided to get this saw for a small project of about six trees---sizes five to seven inches in diameter and thirty feet tall.

Hoping I could at least get them down and worry about cutting them up later.



Well at the end of a day, all trees were down and completely cut up and I used about 3/4 of a quart of chain oil but this rascal cut through those trees like a hot knife through butter.



I recommend this saw highly and I am very particular about what I recommend. Great product.

I have been looking for an electric chainsaw(did not want the gas can storage)for a number of weeks. I found this unit at Amazon and compared other prices on line at other places. I found the unit at Amazon with some extras at a savings of 15%.

The unit works right out of the box,(with the addition of oil to the tank), and does a great job for home use. The 16F is a perfect size for tree branches, and small trees. I had some tree damage in my yard from the latest CA wind storm, and the saw chewed through the branches and 8in tree with no problems. In fact, I cut the trees so easy that I was not paying enough attention to how much stuff I had cut, and bingo the chain came off. After a few cuttings, one should check the adjustment of the chain; and re-adjust the tension. Read the instruction manual a few times before using, and follow the use guide to acheive the best results. The unit was as described in the product guide on Amazon, and preformed better than expected.

When I ordered the saw, I also ordered the oil and an extra chain, just in case of chain failure. The saw does not come with oil, which you will need to do your cutting. I ordered to EXACT Oregon chain as the one on the unit, in the event I would need a backup.

The unit is very powerful, so be sure and take the safety issues seriously every time you use the unit; safety glasses, gloves, and proper clothing; long pants, long sleeves! YOU will get kick backs, and flying chips during usage.

I would recommend the Poulan for your home use, and the extra chain, along with the bar oil for your purchase. My only issue is the saw does not come with a case, which would make a complete package.

I first used this saw on a nine-inch Oak tree and the saw's performance was poor. It might work well on soft wood but on this hard wood tree it struggled. After using, the saw was easy to disassemble and clean. I used a water hose to spray out the dirt and debris from each part and chassis.

I ordered this saw after my wife researched the internet. It has as much power as my McCullough gas fueled. The chain stops immediately when you even think about releasing the trigger. Great safety feature!! It's my saw of preference when there's a power source nearby. Almost worth it to bring a generator along. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. - Chain Saw - Poulan - Chain Saws - Electric Chain Saws'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information