Thursday 28 July 2011

Macbook Pro - macbook pro, clearguard


Pros-

-VERY thin, I hardly notice that it's installed. Unlike those silicone covers.

-Keyboard lights up clearly, doesn't impede the light at all.

-Takes 2 minutes to get used to. It definitely doesn't feel like a bare keyboard but it doesn't feel like it's a covered keyboard either.



Cons-

-Kinda pricey for a very thin piece of industrial plastic. The price might be high due to the fact that its molded SPECIFICALLY for macbook keyboards. Because it's an EXACT fit.

-DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT fold or crush this cover. keep the original box if you need to store it away. Unlike silicon this product WILL WRINKLE. I decided to clean mine because it does feel sticky after long term use. I cleaned it with soap and water and i decided to WRING it out. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE. the product had wrinkles that would not disappear. I was too cheap to buy a new one so i have to live with annoying wrinkles.



Other than that..this is hands down the best keyboard cover for macs out there and not a lot of people know about it. moshi ClearGuard MB Keyboard Cover for MacBook/Pro/Air

I got one to try after three or so months of using a standard silicone cover that included the palm guard, so this is a direct pro/con of the two different ones.



First, this one is much easier to type on. Not that it was difficult to type on the other, you just had to be a little more deliberate. Really the only trouble I had typing consistently was my password, which is 15 characters, and I can type it instantly on a normal keyboard, but moving that fast on the silicone sometimes didn't quite let the characters register right. The other downside to the full silicone one was that it didn't fit very well - the silicone hung over the sides and front, so it was easy to catch while moving my hands around, or my sleeves would lift the edge enough to make it start rolling up under me. And since I do touch type, sometimes the little bit of stick of the palms on the palmguard part of the silicone would keep the hand from moving quite where I wanted it to be. I adapted to it within a few days, and for the last three plus months I've used it, but now having used this moshi one, I wish I had switched sooner.



This one, being thinner, is obviously going to feel better than the thicker silicone one, but I wasn't quite ready for how unobtrusive this would feel now. It's almost completely unnoticable.



The lights shine through it well, much better than the thicker silicone one. I pulled half of that one off the other night and was shocked at how they keyboard looked lit up without it. I had forgotten how nice the keyboard can look.



These keyboard covers are a necessity for me since I use the notebook so much - my keyboards never last more than a week without becoming ugly from some of the keys becoming so smooth. Granted, these won't obviate that completely, but they will slow it down, and after 3 months, my keyboard is not shiny at all, where normally i can't get 10 days with the keys no longer looking this well.



Now that I don't have the thicker silicone overhanging the sides, the lid closes better as well, even with my shaggymac on top of the keys to keep the screen from getting marked up.



I am very happy with this product. I've seen people talk about the fit being "perfect" and mine certainly is not, but the only keys that didn't get covered almost spot on were all the function keys across the top. I'm kind of waiting to see if things fit themselves over use, if it conforms a little better where it didn't fit out of the box, but it's off only enough to keep the cover from sitting flat across the very top, so it doesn't interfere with my typing at all.



Would definitely get this again, and will replace it whenever it needs to be replaced...



Edit: In July, finally am replacing this. Mine got some discoloration on a few of the keys where heat builds up, and the rest of it was getting pretty worn (I use my macbook for work and personal so i'm on it most of the day). NOT a detraction at all from the item, it lasted this long with my keyboarding, it clearly is an outstanding product. But time to get a nice clean, clear one again.

I bought this for my 2.0GHz Unibody Mac. I have been using it for a week now. My thoughts:



> It is NOT a perfect fit. But close enough. Does not fit perfectly near the function keys. But where you'd hit the keys frequently - i.e the letters and the space bar, it fits well.



> Takes a while to get used to because if you push your finger over a key, chances are the CG will flip momentarily.



> Does not stick to the aluminum surface. Which is good and bad. Good because it doesn't leave any sticky residue and can be cleaned. Bad because it flips like mentioned earlier. Because it is so easy to flip, I am not sure how protective it can be against liquid spills.



> Have not noticed any heat issues so far.



> Muffles sound when you type, which is a good side effect.



> Is very clear. The silicone feels high quality. But I think it is over priced.



And yea, it does protect your key board from dust. - Keyboard Cover - Clearguard - Moshi - Macbook Pro'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information