Wednesday 27 July 2011

Propane Grill - barbecue, propane grill


I am writing this long term review because as so many reviews are just initial impressions when the product is new. They are hard to find, but some people will write a review later in the product's life cycle, especially if they have had problems. This is not one of those "problem" reviews. The Weber Q is my all time favorite grill.



Background Info:



I bought my "Q" back in 2004 when they first came out; there were only two models at the time, the Q and the Baby Q. The overall design theory and execution of a portable gas grill was amazing in my eyes - like nothing I had ever seen before. I was in the market for a gas grill, and the portable nature yet still nice enough to grill on a daily basis design sold me instantly. I had used my dad's Weber gas grill since he bought it new in the mid 90's (comparable to today's Genesis models) and was impressed in every aspect, especially the longevity and quality of the components compared to "big box store" look-a-like grills. The price for a standalone Weber, like my dad's, was too high in my opinion, and I wanted more for my money. The Q's dual nature fit the bill perfectly. In addition to the Q, I bought about every accessory available at the time: rolling cart, Weber Q specific tools, cover, hose for external LP tank, etc. Every accessory followed right in line with the Q's portable design intent. The tools are my favorite as they snap into the side tables and easily fold up inside enhancing the go-anywhere part of the design. I recently (Summer 2008) upgraded my home setup to include the stationary cart for a more finshed look at home on the back patio.





Performance:



The grill holds a surprisingly large amount of food. I can grill for the whole family or more with no problems, (This totally depends on what you are grilling). I have grilled everything from the ubiquitous burgers, dogs, and brats to fajita meat and vegetables to corn on the cob and steaks. I can even fit 2-3 whole racks of ribs on the Q. Heating is surprisingly even with the rectangular shaped burner (which is stainless steel and after 4 seasons is showing zero signs of wear, corrosion, etc.). The heavy, thick cast iron grate should get most of the credit for the even heating. I really like the wide bars and tight spacing of the grate; I can grill sliced veggies and meats as if I were cooking on a skillet with no fear of them falling though. Temperature control is ultra easy with the single burner knob. I have taken the Q tailgating at sporting events, to picnics at the park, to friends' parties, etc. and it has performed flawlessly. It offers tons of cooking room for the size and minimal effort to bring along with the clever design of the grill and accessories. People are always amazed when they watch me unpack/pack the Q. Other than an occasional and end of season cleaning, this thing is maintenance free. Just brush off the grate, check the drip pan, and clean out the burned drippings in the bottom from time to time.



Final Thoughts:



Looking back at my Q experience, I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I can't imagine owning any other gas grill - except another Q. If the day comes when I have to replace my beloved Q, I would probably stick with the original size, the 200 series; it is the perfect balance. The 300 series looks nice with the bigger size and extra burner, but I don't necessarily need the size and I feel it loses some of the portable utility that makes the original Q so great. Weber 396002 Q 200 Portable Gas Grill

I had owned a Weber Q100 for a couple of years and loved it. Recently someone decided that they were more worthy of owning it than I was and they "liberated" it from me. Oh well.



I thought about several other options for a replacement and settled on the Q200. There is a Q220 but it looks like the only feature that you get for the extra money is a thermometer built into the lid (the lid may be built a bit higher according to the description but I couldn't tell for sure). The Weber 300 is in a similar shape but it is more of a conventional grill with a cart and a 20lb. tank. I bought the Q200 for these reasons:



* I can use it on a cart or take it with me if I go somewhere and want a grill with me



* It has enough grill space for a meal for 4-6 people, plenty for my needs



* The fold-out shelves are really convenient



* I really loved my Q100 and I thought that I should stick with a winning, proven design



I bought the better cart for this and I use the big 20# gas cannister. However, if it runs out at a bad time I can use the smaller cannisters as back-up. Plus, when I travel with it I leave the big tank and cart behind.



One more thing, now I use a bike chain to lock it onto my porch rail. I not going to let this one go without making it a little harder for them this time.



Weber 54601 Stationary Cart for Weber Q Grills 200 and 220

Weber Q 6553 Premium Cover Fits Weber Q 300 Grill

Don't let the portability of this grill fool you. It cooks big and for many people at one time.



It take either the green camping propane bottles or hook it up to a 20 lb tank with the adapter hose (Recommended). The cool thing is if your big tank runs out without warning you can cook 2 or 3 meals with the camping Coleman propane until you get it filled.



Temperature control is great. You can get it real hot for searing steaks or low to roast whole chickens.



I don't know why anyone would buy a cheap import grill when you can have a weber Q 200 that will cook the same amont of food and have complete portability. This is a great little grill.

OK, I should have written this earlier, but I have figured I have used this Q-200 over 750 times!!

I cook dinner most nights on my grill, a meat, and also vegetables, some on the grill, some in foil. I think the secret to this grill is the cast grate, no other grill cooks so evenly, I hared those with cheap wire grates. I think the most amazing thing is after so many uses, it NEVER failed. I should clean it more often too, other than the drip tray, it gets a good cleaning only ever 100 or so uses. Just a brass brushing before each use. I'm amazed after 3 years of my hard use (more Abuse with my cleaning schedule!) this inexpensive grill still works as good as new. It does look pretty used, a few flare-ups have scorched the right side of the lid, but every part is 100% working.

To anyone that says Webber is not number one in quality, I invite you over next year to see if this little guy will be cooking it's 1000th dinner!!!!!

Oh, and I don't work fow Weber or Amazon, I'm a retail manager who apreciates a quality product in an age of throw away products. - Portable Grill - Barbecue - Propane Grill - Compact Grill'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information