Sunday 31 July 2011

First Day Of School - uni-ball, office supplies


I am an office supply nut. I order imported pens from Japan, know all different paper sizing and weighting measures, and own more than a handful of no-staple paper binders. I offer this as my credentials to evaluate this mechanical pencil.



I cycle between using a mechanical pencil or a modern gel ink pen as my daily writing implement. When I saw the Japanese version of this product, I jumped at it, making it the most expensive mechanical pencil I ever owned (I said I am a nut, not that I am a _rich_ nut). This is an "Americanized" version of the same thing. As with many foreign imports, the resulting mass market product is a bit bland and not quite as nice. Plastic housing feels cheaper (compared to metal on the Japanese version), rotating mechanism is a little bit noisier (compared to silent: it is hardly noticeable), and the pencil is a touch bulkier in my hand.



The plastic is a touch too slick (it doesn't feel properly gripped, like it might pop out of my hand) but otherwise it is comfortable to use (haven't used it for long periods yet). The rotating mechanism works, just as advertised. It makes it easy to write tiny little messages. The 0.5mm lead really does feel like 0.3mm most of the time and I never have a slanted edge that cuts through the paper.



So, 4/5 for not being quite as nice as the one I have been using, but again 4/5 because it is affordable and the mechanism really does improve the writing experience. Honest. uni-ball KuruToga Twist and Turn 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil Starter Set (1751934)

I've had this pencil for about 3 weeks now. I'm taking calculus and chemistry this quarter so I do a lot of math and thought this would be the perfect pencil for the job. The kuru toga engine is neato and keeps the tip sharp always. However, after just a few days I noticed stress cracks forming up the clear plastic grip area. Today It broke off right at the base of the clear plastic grip. Its ruined.



Honestly, it felt kind of cheap from the beginning. I was pretty unimpressed for 10 dollars. I'll be keeping my metal zebra from now on.

The kurutoga mechanical pencil has actually been out for a while in Japan. I've ordered a few about two years ago. When I first used them I took notice of the clear grip. As you press the pencil and lift it up from the paper, the kurutoga logo revolves around the barrel's axis, confirming the lead actually rotates.



This pencil will not work as advertised if you write in cursive, and you must lift your pencil between letters or numbers in order for it to work. This was engineered to how you write in japanese, but translates decently to writing in english or other languages. I found this most useful when I was in either japanese school or in calculus class.



The nanodia lead has also been out for a few years. It is great lead, hands down. Its slightly stronger than normal lead; however, it takes longer to wear it down. A full pack of 40 leads lasted me for about one and a half years in school.



The only reason I gave this pencil 4 stars instead of 5, is that the mechanism that rotates the lead can get worn out if you mess with the end of the pencil. Also, you must replace the eraser before it becomes flush with the end or it will become extremely difficult to insert lead.



That said, this is a great mechanical pencil that keeps a uniform thickness.

DOWNS: The first time I started to write with this pencil -I'm not kidding- I felt all the plastic creak and give way under my grip -and I'm a female, physics student; I work in a precision lab all day and I do not have a heavy hand. This pencil simply won't fly with me and the amount of "pencil work" I do all day.



This pencil's engineering might be new and innovative but it's production is weak, cheap and I really expected more out of world renowned, Japanese precision and quality.



If you want, this pencil in a non- plasic, High Grade, high quality (metal) form, do a search for "Uni Kuru Toga HG" and you'll see what I mean. 'comes in at least 2 colors, blue and black body.



UPS: That being said, I'm totally sold on the lead. I got this pencil because it's apparently one of the most celebrated mechanical pencils on Amazon and because I was interested in its revolutionary lead design. And yes, this "Uni-ball Diamond Infused Lead" is TOTALLY worth all the hype and price. I LOVE IT. It does stay sharpe longer; it does provide a cleaner, clearer script and it is very firm and does not break easily. The lead is an Epic, super Win.



MORE DOWNS: But as for the pencil it's self, no way; it's a total Fail. Again, the pencil is all plastic and has no weight to it. It does have that interesting "Twist and Turn" engineering (to keep the lead fresh) but it's value gets lost in all the plastic. Oh, and did I mention the eraser *rolls eyes... -if you can't call it an eraser- It's soooo small and weak! A total after thought, as in, "Hay guys you think we forgot a vital element to this pencil? *crickets chirp.... OH YEAH!!! The eraser!!! ...it's an embarrassment.



Did I mention that this pencil made of mostly plastic?



I must add that I might be a bit spoiled because for the last year or so, I've been using the GraphGear 1000 family (.3mm, .5mm, .7mm and .9mm) of mechanical pencils made by, Pentel from Japan. These are my true lab partners! I use them and love them. They have better weight and balance; have better erasers; have retractable tips; are longer and are all, super sweet metal alloy. -and they will be even better now that I will be re-filling them with "Uni-ball Diamond Infused Lead".

The Kuru Toga engine is a really great idea. I've used it for several days, and I've yet to face some dull lead. The tip stays nice and sharp.



However, what makes this pencil a dealbreaker is the overall design. I felt that uni-ball has really cheaped this one out. Maybe some people will appreciate the design, but I for sure don't. The pencil does come with an eraser, but the eraser is extremely small; it's smaller than the standard eraser that comes with the wooden pencils. Secondly, there is no grip, at least as far as I'm concerned. There is a little circular ring at the bottom, but it's impossible to use it as a grip. It's way tot small and is positioned too low on the pencil. Finally unlike most premium pencils, which have metal clips, the Kuru Toga pencil has a plastic clip. The clip broke off of my pencil within a few days of use.



The bottom line is: If you absolutely NEED a Kuru Toga engine, buy this pencil. Otherwise, avoid it. It is definitely not a premium pencil, despite its price, and I advise others to find a different pencil to use. If uni-ball had put some more thought into this pencil, it could have been a hit product. - Uniball - Uni-ball - Office Supplies - Pencil'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • uni-ball
  • ,
  • pencil
  • ,
  • office supplies
  • ,
  • uniball