Monday 28 December 2009

Mobile Scanner - scanner, scansnap


The ScanSnap S1300 rocks and this page doesn't do it justice.

BTW, the difference between the ScanSnap S300 and S1300 is simple.

S1300 works with PC and MAC. S300 only works with PC. Get the S1300.

It scans FAST and PDFs pop up on my PC immediately. It does OCR in the background while the PC is idle.

Great, great quality. My old Epson Perfection 1240 never scanned docs with such clarity.

One drawback...you can't use TWAIN with the ScanSnap series. So no "import from scanner" in Photoshop.

But this things will scan a JPG that can you later open in Photoshop. No worries.

As a designer, I'm not impacted since I rarely scan anything in color these days.

(It does scan in full color, btw...really nice quality).

I'll let the video show you real-world usage.

Personal stuff has been blurred. ;)

You can watch it at you of the tube

and search for the following kB7268TGEng. Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Mobile Scanner (PA03603-B005)

I was thinking about the 1500M but then realized that the software was for Mac only and that making it work with a PC using the great software that is bundled would not be possible. Sure you can get the scanner to work but not all of ease of use features with profiles etc.



I like the Scan Snap software, it is easy to use. I did not use the manual to figure it out(beyond checking what needed to be installed).



You simply select active Profile for your scanning task and then it is a one-click affair.



Scan to a file

Scan to Evernote (I had to configure, very easy to-do)

Scan to email

Scan to Card-Iris

Scan to Word

Scan to Excel

etc.



Could this get any easier?



Page Per Minute:

8 supposedly but if you turn on the special PDF feature to make the document SEARCH-ABLE then the PPM goes down or at least the post-scan processing takes slightly longer.



Small size benefits:

* I like the ability to take it with me to a meeting where I know I will want to share notes

* small footprint on my desk (I like this)

* when you fold up the trays the 1300 is just a tiny little box



Small size issues:

* the paper tray cannot hold as many sheets as the larger models

* guide rails are small and papers can sometimes get fed in at an angle if your paper is curling up a little, I have to assume that with bigger guide rails that would help keep the paper straight

* if you have the space and you want to be able to do large batches of scans I have to assume the larger SCAN SNAPS would be a better choice (they can process more PPM too).



power from USB:

* the option to power form two USB ports is pretty nifty

* this feature is useful for people that travel and do some serious word warrior computing





Lastly, my use case (so that you can determine if my advice applies):

* I am a GTD user and scansnap is part of my process of processing my inbox (getting to zero).

* I scan a lot of stuff to evernote (magazine articles/notes/project related documents)

* I scan all my bills and tax related documents to an encrypted folder

* I scan business cards and use card iris to send to entourage

* My goal of FILING less stuff is a success thanks to the EASE of use of the Scan SNAP

* my goal of shredding old files after scanning is a success



I own other scanners, and they are PERFECT for scanning a few important documents for a task but not for BULK SCANNING jobs. WAY too many steps and too slow! I strongly recommend SCANSNAP scanners.

I've been looking for this scanner for 15 years. It's good enough. It could be better, but it's good enough. If it lasts for two years I'll happily buy it again at the same price.



The hardware is essentially perfect. It's a bit annoying that you need two USB cables if you want to avoid the generic (mediocre) power brick, but blame that on USB. We should all be using either old style firewire or never coming USB 3, but we're stuck with USB 2. It scans both sides of paper at once. Yes, DUPLEX.



Although it's primarily a document scanner, I've used it scan color prints. The results were not professional quality, but they were darned good and fast.



The documentation is excellent.



The software is mediocre. Some of the bundled OS X software is so old it's non-native on Intel machines, fortunately you can omit that. Unlike the higher end machines you don't get Adobe's superb PDF/OCR combination (yes, once Adobe was competent), you get a much less efficient product called ABBY FineReader. Even so, it does produce PDF images with searchable OCRd text indices.



Most importantly, OS X Spotlight WILL index the text associated with these PDF image files.



The mediocrity extends to the ScanSnap Manager UI and workflow. Clearly this was a low bid contract. Don't expect much in the way of upgrades or future products. The scans, however, can be sent to products like DevonThink Pro ($150) for processing.



The scanner uses proprietary drives. This is perhaps the most lethal problem. If they're not upgraded we can be sure that within 3 years they won't work on OS X. Fujitsu, notoriously, does not provide new versions of ScanSnap Manager without a hardware purchase.



There are other problems with the software, but so far it hasn't been unstable.



In summary, 2 star software, 5 star hardware, gives a 3 star review. Surprisingly, I still love the product. If Apple were ever to produce a scanner, it would be a lot like this, though with a better power adapter and infinitely better software. - Fujitsu - Document Scanner - Scanner - Scansnap'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information