Monday 28 December 2009

Handheld Scanner - vupoint, handheld scanner


Very well designed, solid case for the VuPoint portable scanner. The scanner fits snugly and is held in place by an elastic band. There is extra storage for SD cards and USB Cable. For $20 average, You can't go wrong. The nylon sleeve that comes with the scanner is not adequate protection for travel - this case is rigid, compact and has a nice soft leather-like exterior that looks easy to keep clean and it will definately provide adequate protection. VuPoint Solutions Carrying Case for Magic Wand Portable Scanner (PDSC-IW410-VP)

I have 3 children under the age of 6, so it was important for me to buy something that would protect my scanner. this is great! The pockets hold everything (although, they're oddly placed) and the scanner slips in and out easily. You won't be disappointed!

Frankly, I don't know why a carrying case is not included when you buy the scanner. I carry my scanner in my backpack, and always worried that it would get bent or broken. This carrying case has literally made me so happy that my wife thinks I am overreacting. What can I say, I do a lot of archival research and appreciate being able to scan documents and photos quickly and easily.

This is a great quality hard case to store my handheld scanner in. It's made of quality leather and has a couple of pockets inside to keep batteries and the vinyl slip cover that comes with the VuPoint Magic Wand scanner. I Would definitely recommend this case to keep the portable scanner safe.

It does work - you turn it on and roll it over the document, an image is taken. You then connect the unit to your mac/pc (I use a mac) and then sync the file over to the computer. That part works. It's getting a good image that's really tricky. I usually scan three or four times before syncing back to the mac (kind of like taking a family snapshot, how many of us take multiple shots of a sitting, to be sure everyone has their best sides showing). Even then I may have to go back to do another scan once I see the final product on a computer screen. The trouble is that it's so easy to get a "wavy" image of a document, where the lines of text are not parallel. In fact - far from being parallel. I always try my best to roll the scanner smoothly and slowly across the document, trying to avoid a curvy path. But when I think I got a good scan, the outcome is usually disappointing. I frequently want to run the image through OCR to get text, and if the image is not straight, the text gets butchered.



Having said all that - if you want to get some images of text as an archive of a document and you don't really care about perfection, then Magic Wand will do. It is handy when you are away from your real scanner and need to get a quick image. Like scribbling a quick note on a scrap of paper - you don't really care about penmanship. The Wand is very much like that.

I needed this scanner carrying case because I just recently purchased the Magic Wand Scanner. Now, my scanner will be protected whenever I travel with it. Portability is the wave of the future because we're a very mobile society.



I'm very pleased with this product.

I bought the scanner, and really like it, but at the time, thought that the the cloth drawstring cover would be enough. I found that I really use it "out of the home" much more than I expected, and having to carry it in my purse was not always good. Now it's protected, no matter where it lands in the car. I like the fact that it has a storage area. Well worth the twenty dollars!



PS. I have a "shopping list" of things I eventually will buy at Amazon, but don't need immediately. I add from the list so I get free shipping... and I really love that too! - Portable Scanner - Handheld Scanner - Document Scanner - Vupoint'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information