Wednesday 30 December 2009

Weighing Scale - bath scale, affordable


I just got this scale to replace an older digital scale that broke, and I'm very impressed.



To weigh yourself, you step on the scale, wait about 3-4 seconds for the scale to stabilize, and look at the reading. The weight is easy to read -- large numerals with a backlight. The only drawback of the backlight is that it will increase battery usage. You have a choice of units -- pounds, kilograms, or stones.



The scale itself is very sleek and low profile. It's 11.8 inches (width) x 11.7 inches. Some scales (both digital and analog) make a clunking sound as you step on, but this is totally silent.



Like most digital scales, it has to be placed on a hard surface such as tile or wood.



Some digital scales have a "fake repeatability." That is, if you weigh yourself, and then hold a small weight and step on again, it gives exactly the same value. This scale doesn't have this undesirable feature. If you hold a small weight, it gives an honest result.



I measured the variability of nine readings. The range (max minus min) was 0.4 pounds, and the standard deviation was 0.12 pounds. This is excellent, and much better than my previous scale.



I think that the absolute reading is very close to correct, but I haven't had a chance yet to compare this scale to the one at my doctor's office.



The instructions warn that the glass surface is slippery when wet. It's not a scale you want to use after stepping out of the shower or bath.



Update January 2011:



After 18 months (and one battery change), it's still working perfectly, but I want to add one more point that other reviewers have mentioned. You do need to remain very still after you get on the scale; otherwise the reading may not lock. To make it work, I stand still for about 5 or 6 seconds. Just stand still and look straight ahead; don't look down at the scale until this time has passed. Occasionally the first reading fails. In that case, step off, wait for the display to go off, and get on again. If the first try fails, the second one almost always succeeds. A person with a balance problem, however, would have difficulty getting a good reading.



I've confirmed that this scale displays a weight extremely close to the one at my doctor's office. (There's no guarantee, of course, that other scales of this model will be equally accurate.) My Weigh Elite Series Bathroom Body Weight Scale - 400 lb

Just bought this scale & am already packing it back up to return to Amazon for a refund.



I unpacked it, removed the battery strip, set it to pounds & tried it out as soon as UPS delivered it.



The first number showed a 5lb difference from my old scale, but since I could get three different numbers when weighing three times in succession on that scale I assumed it was just that the My Weigh was accurate.



Not so much.



The next time I got on I was holding a 5lb bag of flour...and it gave me the exact same number as before.



I tried this same process using my hand weights, but the My Weigh scale could not read the weight difference accurately.



When I added a 3lb weight it showed a difference of 1lb.



When I added 6lbs the My Weigh showed a number 4lbs less than the original number.



Yes, I had this scale on an even, hard surface.



If a scale cannot accurately gauge the difference of adding or removing small amounts of weight...then it is nothing but a dust collector.



Back to Amazon it goes & the search for a new, accurate scale continues.

I am so happy with this item that it has prompted me to write my first amazon review. I looked at scales for hours, and I decided to buy this one based off of the reviews. The first surprise was how nice this thing looks. The pictures don't do this thing justice! It just flat out looks better in person than it does in the pictures. I was not expecting this to be so sleek! It is about as thin as a couple of magazines stacked on top of each other (maybe thinner) and it has a very attractive glass surface. The next surprise was how accurate this thing is. I get very consistent readings. Last night I decided to do a little experiment. I weighed myself 3 or 4 times in a row and got 188.0 every time. I went into the kitchen and drank a glass of water. I then immediately weighed myself again and got a reading of 188.8. Thats good enough for me! The only con I can think of is not that big of a deal: you have to be pretty still while you weigh yourself to get the scale to lock in on your weight. If you were thinking about getting this scale - I say go for it!

This is the best scale we've ever had. Was very inexpensive. It is stylish, and works well. You simply set kilo or pounds, place on a hard surface, and step on. If you move it (significantly) you have to reset it because it senses the surface and calculates weight based on the set. It does not sense anything under 10 lbs, and only holds the display for 10 seconds, then automatically shuts of, so you would have to get back on if you missed the weight. That might be a little confusing for some children or first time users. I have tried stepping all over the scale to see if it gives a different weight for different foot placement, but it seems to be the same everywhere. I have also picked up objects that weigh a few ounces to see if it is actually accurate ...and it is! This is a hundred times better than our options at the local stores (in it's price range). - Weighing Scale - Digital - Affordable - Bath Scale'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information