Monday 28 December 2009

Mothers Day - gift idea, caribbean


These are the best rum cakes out there. I just returned from the Bahamas and brought several different brands of cakes back. These were by far the BEST so I ordered more on-line. LOVE LOVE LOVE these rum cakes.



I had first tasted this cake at the store in Key West. In fact, I tried every flavor of the free samples they had available. For years, I have wanted to order one of these cakes, but the minimum order from the Tortuga catalogue was more than I wanted to deal with. Besides that, the shipping and handling was quite high. When I saw the cakes available through Amazon, I still thought they were pricey, but super-saver free shipping was available, so I ordered two cakes, one for my family and one for a friend. The cake did not dissapoint. It was delicious, moist and delicious, and the rum was not overpowering. By eating just a sliver at a time, my husband, son, and I made the 16oz cake last nearly a week. It was a nice holiday treat.

Received this as a holiday gift, if you are in love with rum you should like this cake. It is nice and moist and has a pungent aroma of rum. It is made in the Cayman Islands. My dog was at first, slightly repelled by the smell but now it is following me around!

I was a little concerned about ordering food items from online but this was the perfect choice. My husband loves Rum and Tortuga Rum Cake but it is hard to find in local stores or it's to pricey for me. I had received a gift card for Amazon and thought I would give you guys a try. To my surprise it was fast, easy and worth it. I will have more orders. This cake is absolutely wonderful. My husband prefers it in thin slices with a little butter on top and heated in the microwave, just until a little warm. He also likes to add a little extra Rum. The cake was very fresh. If you like a soft and moist cake not sort of dry and spongy this is the cake for you. They have lots of different flavors as well. Hope this helps someone.

Sry for all the people whom thought this cake was going to be loaded with rum for them to be drunk off of but it isn't. Its to be enjoyed by people thats not of the legal age themselves also so there is little rum in it. With that said I am Jamaican myself and I bought this on a trip back up to the states and have been hooked ever since. I go back just to get this but something told me to try Amazon CAUSE AMAZON HAS EVERYTHING :) and I was delighted to know that its on here. I will be buying these things until I am sick of it and can't eat it anymore.

First slice I wasnt too impressed...what's up with all this hype?



Figured, I'll go with the recommendation as I had ice cream on hand... popped a slice in the microwave for 20 secs, added a few scoops of ice cream... and OMG it was like another cake!



You got to nuke it!

I love rum cake and usually make my own from scratch. I was a bit skeptical that this would actually be that good but figured I'd give it a try when I saw it in the Friday Sale one week. Much to my pleasant surprise, it is really good! The cake is very moist and the rum is not overpowering. It's also not overloaded with nuts -- just a light sprinkling on top is all. I'm giving this 4 out of 5 stars only because I think it's a bit pricey. However, I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys rum cake or has wanted to try one and is willing to pay a little more than average for it -- I think you'll like! - Rum Cake - Gift Idea - Sweet Tooth - Rum - Caribbean - Cake'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information