Tuesday 29 December 2009

Wireless Mouse - mouse, logitech


I used the V220 mouse in XP, Vista and Linux. All three systems recognized and installed the mouse in a few seconds. The mouse is a slightly small however the contours make it feel very comfortable in your hand. Response was smooth and the buttons and trackball have very nice feel while in use. So you wonder why I only gave it 3 stars. This is the problem. After some use the mouse causes my all of browser windows to scroll to the bottom. As soon as the mouse is over the browser window it immediately goes to the bottom of the page.This happens both in Firefox and Explorer. The only solution I have found is to turn off the mouse for a few seconds.



The software from Logitech is bloated and of little practical value. Logitech V220 Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks (Dark Silver)

I bought two of these at Christmas time, one as a gift for my wife for her Dell 4100 desktop PC and the other for my IBM ThinkPad laptop computer. We have struggled with a couple wired mice over the years and had enough of the dust balls invading the mice. The Logitech V220 had numerous good reviews and the price was reasonable, especially with free Amazon shipping. They arrived soon after ordering and were put into service on Christmas day. Installation was plug and play for the receiver into a USB port. There is a download available for adding additional features. The mouse can be configured for various buttons. The mice came with an alkaline AA battery for each. Some of the reviews indicated battery life of up to 6 months. One of the mice lasted about one month. The other is still working 2 months later. I was curious about the current consumption as a retired electrical engineer and was able to measure the current on each. It turned out the current draw was identical for the two so I concluded the supplied batteries were not equal when purchased new. The mouse draws about 100uA static and about 14mA when in use. If the USB receiver is piggybacked onto the mouse when not in use the mouse is shut off completely, it appears. The performance is great, no problems. The Dell desktop has the USB ports in the back and I was concerned that the location might affect the wireless path but it turned out it worked fine. I would recommend this unit to all. There is no need to spend more on laser units.

I usually don't write negative reviews, but the frustration from this mouse has added some extra motivation for me.



In the beginning everything was great, it worked wonderfully and seemed to serve its purpose very well. After a few months I starrted noticing some tracking problems, but quickly put it aside as a failing battery. After replacing the battery I still had problems, until one day it just stopped working.



Through some deduction I realized that problem is not with the mouse, but with the large clunky usb drive. The size, much larger than newer models, is such that it will get bumped occasionally, many times without notice.



The usb drive is so cheaply made ( as evidence I took it apart only to find a thin copper plate secured by a couple pieces of scotch tape tape) that even the occasional nudge will destroy this excessively fragile device. This is a problem. For desktop users, it may never be an issue, but for laptop owners there are better options.

The current version 4/2009 of the Logitech V220 mouse does not have the same accurate function as the version I purchased about three years ago. It does not release from left button functions and is often slow to move the cursor when not used for a few minutes.

I purchased the Logitech V220 notebook mouse a few weeks after buying my new notebook for college. I'm pleased with its performance so far; I've had it about one month.



The battery life is listed at 6 months, with regular usage. The mouse includes a useful on/off feature, however, which is manual or automatically done by inserting the USB receiver in the bottom of the mouse.

I was happy that the mouse included a AA battery, despite not listing this on the packaging. The battery life light, located on top, glows green for just a few seconds after turning the mouse on. Another useful feature, which I appreciate.



For ergonomics, know that this mouse is rather small, due to it being a notebook mouse. Dimensions are roughly 2.5-3 inches long, 1.5-2 inches wide, 1 inch tall. It fits my hand well, and I'm 6 feet tall with larger sized hands. The clicks are responsive, as is the scroll wheel, both forward/backward and side-to-side.



Software for the mouse can be obtained from [..]. The software (Logitech Setpoint) allows customization a bit further, such as mouse speed, left/right click settings, middle click settings, among other features.



Overall a great mouse, very accurate and with long lasting battery life (afaict). - Laptop Mouse - Mouse - Laser Mouse - Logitech'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • laptop mouse
  • ,
  • laser mouse
  • ,
  • logitech
  • ,
  • mouse