Wednesday 29 April 2009

3d Tv


I give this tv a 4 star rating.

I'm one of the people who don't like the active shutter glasses. primarily because I wear glasses already and adding a heavy second pair bothered me. My cousin purchases the sony 3d tv with active shutter glasses and I can say first hand that after watching 2/3 of avatar 3d I had a splitting headache. this pretty well told me active shutter wasn't for me. I blamed the headache on the weight of the glasses more then the shutter. however I can't prove that. what I can say is that after reviewing the differences in 3d I decided that passive 3d was for me. my reason for this is that I was able to watch 3d avatar at the theater without getting a headache so I thought since it was the same technology it should work. well it's been 3 day since i've had the lg passive 3d tv and after watching avatar, despicable me, and tangled I can say NO headaches!!!!!! I can also tell you the 3d quality may be equal to theater real3d but doesn't have the sharpness of active shutter 3d. I know I gave up quality for no headaches or eye strain. But i'm ok with that as I think the quality of passive 3d is of more value to me then having to wear heavy 3d glasses. There is also a large bonus of being able to bring home the 3d glasses from hoyts and reagal theaters to have spares.

what I didn't expect:

in the past I have owned sharp, samsung, sony and now an LG tv. in all previous cases I always used my bose theater system for sound as I'm sure everyone can contest tv's suck for sound. there isn't any depth or quality and usually they sound like talking into a can.

with LG I was seriously surprised. the sound quality was far better than my samsung 40 led tv. is it as good as the bose system? Heck no! but it did justify putting the bose upstairs in my bedroom with the samsung led and leaving the LG tv solo downstairs for the kids. :) that's a double bonus

thanks LG I got an unexpected upgrade to my nighttime tv.

quality picture of 2d:

The quality is almost equal to samsung and sony at the same size. if I where rating sony or samsung I would rate them a 5 star for quality and LG comes in at 4.75. almost as good but not quite. it's not that I see lines or pixilations or shadowing.

so my 4 star rating is because I took 1 point off for the uselss documentation they send and the lack of programable remotes without having to deal with going to the lg site and finding the key codes for it. then I gave them .25 for the sound quality. which by the way I would take off .25 from samsung and sony.

Big negative for those with boses older aquistic system the lg doesn't have a audio out port so you can't use bose aquistic with it. this didn't affect me but I know friends who own the system and wanted to give everyone fair warning. you can ofcourse use optic out as always. For the fun of it I had one friend bring over his bose system to try useing through the headset out port, it definately isn't recommended. Bad sound and bad quality plus you have to manage both remotes all the time.



anyway this was my review, as an owner of LG I'll see with this model if I ever buy another.



47LW6500 LG Infinia 47LW6500 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED HDTV with Smart TV (Included: Four Pairs of 3D Glasses)

Last January I had a dilemma. I wanted to upgrade an old 40" Samsung 720P LCD tv but I couldn't decide whether or not to purchase a 3D tv since the technology was so new. I decided to play it safe and ended up purchasing a Samsung 55B8500 in February 2010. That particular LED model was the last one to have local dimming backlight, not edge lit. I must say, I'm still beyond happy with my decision because that tv is nearly flawless and 3D technology has certainly improved.



Anyways, a year passed and I felt that it was time to purchase a 3D tv. This time to replace my old 40" Samsung that was now in my bedroom. I researched online and went to multiple stores comparing brands, sizes and the difference between active and passive 3D. I must've spent a good 2 months before finally choosing this LG model. I love Samsung and had originally wanted the new UN55D8000 model with the slim bezel but it was a little more than I wanted to spend. Plus, after a while I had come to like passive 3D more than active mainly because I wouldn't have to deal with charging the glasses or replacing them(expensive) if they broke.



So the main reason I bought this model was for the 3D which I must say is nice. It's not as crisp a picture as active shutter but it's nonetheless clear. Passive 3D only delivers 540 lines to each eye hence halving the 1080p resolution but in all honesty, the picture still looks like it's in HD. The tv delivers great 3D depth and that's what it's all about. One negative about the 3D picture though is that you can make out thin horizontal lines across the whole screen while in 3D mode. BUT, this is only noticeable if you are watching from 5 feet or closer. All passive tvs are like this and the smaller the screen the less noticeable. I watch from 6-8 ft away so I don't notice it at all. Recommended viewing distance for a tv this size is a minimum of 6 ft anyways.



The 2D to 3D conversion isn't anything special. The depth isn't quite there and when it is it just doesn't look right. It's fun to play with though.



The 2D picture quality is great but one drawback is the edge lighting. It's noticeable in dark scenes and there is uneven screen uniformity. My Samsung is back-lit so I guess I'm spoiled because I've never encountered this before. All I have to say is that I'll never buy another edge-lit tv ever again.



Overall, this is a good tv. If you don't want to spend too much on a 3D tv($1400) and don't want to deal with active shutter glasses this is a great tv to have. Although you may want to wait for LG's newer model: LG 47LX9500. It has local dimming backlight, 480hz refresh rate, and a slimmer bezel. Just expect to pay a lot more.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


3d Tv 3d Tv 3d Tv