Monday 27 April 2009

Photography Equipment - camera bag, lowepro


Almost just right..., April 10, 2008

By Brett Despain (Draper, UT USA) - See all my reviews



Still looking for the perfect bag...this one comes very close. I own a Lowepro Compurover AW and a Tamrac Adventure 9 bag. The Compurover is too heavy and you have to crack it open like an egg to get to the Camera compartment. The Tamrac is the perfect size, but you have to take the bag off and lay it on the ground or your lap to open the camera compartment, otherwise you risk spilling out all of your gear! Not good.



This Fastpack 250 intrigued me because the side access pocket allows access to your camera quickly without taking the backpack off. Guess what? it works. You really can get your camera out quickly while still wearing the bag.



I bought this as strictly a travel bag. I'm a pilot so I needed a medium sized bag that I could fit in the cockpit while carrying my 40D and 3 L lenses. I also need the top compartment of the bag to carry a few snacks, water and other supplies.



Okay here's the breakdown.



Pros:

1. Slim design, fits in cockpit and on top of my roller suitcase with ease. Also fits very nicely in the space underneath your seat in an airliner.

2. Side camera access in a serious advantage. I considered the sling packs, but I like the comfort and security of having a full backpack. The sling packs are uncomfortable after a while and hard to position to get your camera out without twisting up your clothes or coat.

3. It's lightweight and comfortable to wear. Significantly lighter than my other two bags.

4. Not as pricey as my two other backpacks. I paid less than $90.

5. Side pocket fits a good sized Nalgene water bottle.

6. Medium size and all black color doesn't shout "Camera Bag!" while wearing it.



Cons:

1. No all weather cover flap. A major oversight if you ask me. I took the one off of my Tamrac to use with the Fastpack.

2. No chest strap. I think it needs one.

3. It's almost a little small. I wouldn't go any smaller than this bag because you'll be leaving something home that you'll want later.

4. It needs a side or bottom strap that you can attach a monopod to. I'm thinking of having one sewn on. For now I've attached a carabiner to the top handle and strap on my monopod there.

5. Outside pockets are really worthless. They are sewn in flat and don't have room to expand. You can get a few filters and a flash card wallet in them but that's about it.



Like I said it's not perfect, but I'm giving it four out of five mainly because I like the overall size and design of the bag as well as the convenience of the side access camera pocket. Lowepro Fastpack 250 (Black)

Lowepro quality and organization evident. This bag will NOT do or haul EVERYTHING but meets my needs for now. I have several digital camera bags(my wife might read this so i'll leave it at that) and i needed a bag to carry a "loaded" Canon 70-200 2.8 L II IS on my 7D body. The bag does this well with the hood still backwards but the remaining lenses can't have on hoods in the lower compartment. This bag flew with me as my "personal item" and my carry on suitcase to Phoenix for a Grand Canyon (yes, i went down into the Canyon with it minus my Macbook), Joshua Tree NP, and Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.



In the bag: Macbook 17", 7D,5D, Canon 70-200 2.8 L II IS, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 24-105mm L IS, Hoods for these 3 lenses, Domke Protective Wrap, Canon 1.4 extender, extra caps, extra flash cards, camera manual, extra eye cup, lumquest soft screen, cleaning cloths and lens pen, Op/Tech Rainsleeve, case with circular polarizing filter, battery charger, spare battery, 4G flash drive, Dazzle USB to download cards, Petzl Tikka XP headlamp, sunglasses, hat, bandana, nylon shell vest, 2 bottles of water, snacks and gum. I attached my parka shell below the back safety panel.



I kept everything together and carried it all with me into the field and room and car. When I removed the long lens i placed it in the upper pouch and could work quickly removing the camera body and smaller lenses together especially when hiking for a while. I did fall over once while leaning over from a kneeling position shooting macro because i never used the hip strap and the pack shifted. The pack was very stable in the field and in the airport and plane.



Now i'm putting the 5D body with macro lens or 24-70L in the upper pouch and leave long zoom on the 7D.



Oh, my wife said the blue bag matched my windblock jacket and was pretty! This bag does not look like a camera bag so extra safety.



FINAL WORDS-can carry like a sling bag(i have one) or backpack with/without computer as good daybag without bringing it "all" with you. durable & tough- i'd put it backwards on a rock or dirt often & it's not even marred. cleaned up well from debris after going through tight places. maybe this will help you to choose the right bag for youself the first time, but you'll wind up with another as your gear changes.



Hope you enjoy the quality, comfort, reasonable price and the real reason you need this bag...to take YOUR images and EXPRESS yourself......SHOOT! My equipment changed but not my bag! Just back from Finland & Estonia 10/2010

I was considering the Lowepro slingshot 200 and the Fastpack 250, and boy am I glad I went with the fastpack. Here's a quick side by side comparison:



1. Camera storage compartment: pretty much identical between the two models.

2. Ease of Access: Much easier and more comfortable for the fastpack; just let go of the right strap and swing the bag around. The slingshot swings around and ends up on your chest, pretty awkward feeling/looking; the fastpack ends up near your left waist, allowing you to suavely draw your slr.

3. Size: the fastpack is bulkier than the slingshot, though not by much.

4. Price: the same for both models.



Other random fastpack 250 notes:

1. Laptop storage compartment: the zipper opens along the side, not around the whole backpack.

2. Cellphone pocket: my samsung t-629 fits very snugly.

3. I use this bag for school, storing a slim folder in the laptop pocket, and a couple of 8x6 books in the top compartment. - Computer Backpack - Photography - Camera Bag - Lowepro'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • photography
  • ,
  • computer backpack
  • ,
  • camera bag
  • ,
  • lowepro