Wednesday 29 April 2009

Okuma


This is one of the finest reels I have bought in recent years. Right out of the box I was impressed with the smooth action and sturdy craftmanship. I originally bought this reel for my son since his saltwwater Shakespear couldn't handle the saltwater, but after seeing the reel, I ordered one for myself as well. I was afraid the reel might be to small for the Snook, Redfish, and Trout we regulary fish, but after seeing the reel firsthand I have no fear and I would even use it for tarpon. Another great feature is the fact the reel only weighs 16 ounces, but it is definately built strong. The baitrunner switch is an awesome feature that allows for my son to set his pole down without fear of losing it to a big hit. The feature works by freeing the spool, but it still has enough tension to tighten the line and it is adjustable. The other nice thing is that it clicks as the line goes out, so you hear the fish testing out your bait before the big hit. This feature is a definite plus if you do any bridge, beach, or pier fishing. We will be testing it out again this weekend at Matlacha Pass and I am hoping that my Okuma comes in before then. I would definately reccomend this reel to anyone fishing saltwater or even fresh water.Okuma Avenger ABF40 Baitfeeder Spinning Reel. Okuma ABF-30 Avenger Baitfeeder Spinning Reel (10lb/180yd)

ABF-90 has the biggest spinning reel spool on the market PERIOD! I have this reel for a year now, and in only used in saltwater here in FL. My biggest catch on it was a loggerhead turtle with an impressive size of a jetski - over 200lbs easy! It was a hole pier fishing show when hocked, and the fight was on for an hour straight. Many people that looked at my setup said that the real will broke or that the rod will snap - non of that happened. It toked two people to fight it, and finally we release the beast after bringing next to the pier. My setup was Okuma ABF-90 with 30 Lbs braided line, and 15Ft SLS1503MHFS daiwa surf rod. This setup also got me a 42 inch snook of the beach in a 4-6 minutes fight. Big reel, good price and reliable - BUT - MAKE SURE YOU WASH THE REEL AFTER EACH USE IN SALTWATER OTHERWISE LIKE ANY OTHER REEL WILL BROKE VERY VERY FAST!

I didn't washed one time my reel after few hours of surf fishing and the handle got stock in the main gear. At that point i thought that the real is toasted. I mean i still could use it, but i couldn't take it apart for maintenance service, but after calling Okuma, everything was fine. They sent me 100% FREE the handle and the main gear. When i said 100% FREE i mean FREE SHIPPING to. The conversation on the phone was very pleasant no question asked, not even from where i got the reel, or for how long i have it. Great warranty coverage, hassle free customer service people (quick and knowledgeable). If you are on a tight budget, as my self, then you should probably consider Okuma reels for the price and warranty coverage. I'm not really sure about other brands, but for this price range and warranty that you get, you probably won't get a better deal.

I started using baitfeeder spinning reels (reels with secondary drags) for salt water fishing. I found them extrememly useful for many reasons: letting a fish run with the bait, letting line out in a controlled fashion, setting a lighter drag to cushion the initial hit while trolling, etc. I found myself using the reels for fresh water as well, but they were all too big. The Okuma ABF-20a is is the only reel I found with a secondary drag that comes in a size small enough to be comfortable for normal freshwater fishing. I was hesitant because it was such an inexpensive reel, and I like good tackle. For my primary reels, I use the Daiwa Certates which are astonishing, but I was very pleased when I got the Okuma. It is not a great reel; it is not as smooth as more expensive reels, but it is solid, well-balanced, and does the job very well. It has a very good infinite anti-reverse. If you are not too picky about your tackle, I think you will be very satisfied with this reel as your main reel. If you are picky about your tackle, you probably won't want this as your primary reel, but it is still a great tool to have for situations where a secondary drag would prove useful. It was a very good purchase for me.

I've been using the larger ABF-60 for the last 3 seasons. We fish often, saltwater and brackish estuaries, and it has plain out performed the Penn Captivas and Spinfishers that we have always really liked. Just better built - I think Penn has fallen into resting on their reputation, and not nearly the quality control in their (Chinese?) factories. But these Okuma's are lights out for smooth action and easy maintenance. I'd put them up against much more expensive gear anytime. I got this smaller version of my reel for the wife, and it is obviously has the same quality and engineering as its big brother. She is going to love it.

This reel became my favorite. the bait feeder funtion is sooo awsome. I can lay my pole down on the rocks and don't have to worry about the fish taking my rod. it also makes clicking noise when the fish takes it, nice when you are doing something else. baitfeeder actional also lets you release little bit of line so that you can cast when you reeled it in too much. ABF-40 was little too big but I attached it to my 12 foot whippy stick and I use it for float. I am purchasing ABF-30 for cast and retrieve action pole. will use it on 9 to 10 foot pole. all I can say is this is the best reel I have purchased. I only spend average of $50 per reel.

This is a great reel especially for the price. It holds a lot of line. This is the biggest spinning reel i've ever seen. I put 500 yards of 40lb. power pro braided line on this and it will still hold more. I combined this with an okuma 15 foot surf rod. one could catch a 100lb. plus fish with this rod/reel combo. i love the option for freeing the spool. i would definately recommend this reel.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Okuma Okuma Okuma