Saturday 25 April 2009

Kitchen Utensils - butane torch, creme brulee


I was looking at a little cheaper one at first then realized many people had problems and recommended more expensive one. So, I decided to purchase this one and I am so glad that I did. This is durable, very easy to use and flame comes out so strong at the highest position which makes your work a lot faster and easier.



Like someone wrote here, mine came with full fuel. I couldn't see any air inside the window so tried to fill up and didn't go in. So I turned it on and noticed it had full fuel already. So, if you purchase this item, you should try using it before filling it up.



I made 2 creme brulee in 5" diameter dishes and used about 1/3 of the fuel. It hold enough to make 6 or more so you don't have to keep filling up. There is a small knob on the side at the top of this torch which I didn't know until I was done using it (read instructions!!!). It is to hold the frame so you don't have to keep holding the turn on button. BonJour Creme Brulee Chef's Culinary Torch with Fuel Gauge, Brushed Aluminum

Great little torch. A bit larger than I expected, but that's OK. The operation is flawless.

Of note: mine appears to have arrived full of butane. Highly unusual for butane products; so check the fuel gauge before you try to fill it: it makes a mess when you try to fill an already full torch.

The BonJour Chef's Torch is larger and significantly more powerful than the two other standard crème brulee torches we own. We use these torches in our home for cooking and in our our small business where we teach crafts. Here are my observations:



Pros:

+ Large Base; able to stand very stably on its own which is handy when locked on for hands free use

+ Comfortable Grip; the aluminum body is perfectly sized for medium to larger hands

+ Large Flame; has a good range of flame sizes, but lowest is still fairly high in comparison to other torches

+ Fuel Window; easy to see how much fuel is in the torch

+ Good Looking; this does not look cheap, which is good if using it in front of guests or customers (like we do)



Cons:

- Recessed screw holes on aluminum body are sharp, we filled them with modeling clay since it is unlikely we will ever need to take it apart

- Uses a lot more fuel than our other torches, but that is the trade off for the larger flame



This might be more than some people need, but it does work very well for our needs!



Highly Recommended!



CFH

I purchased this torch to use for Creme Brulee. Mine did not come full of fuel as other reviewers mentioned, so I was glad to have purchased a fuel refill. After filling it, it worked fine on the first ramekin, but continued to go out when I tried to use it on the second ramekin. I repeatedly tried and it just kept going out. I followed the directions and made sure the flame indicator was in the mid-range and even tried adjusting the air valve, but every time I use it, it just sputters out. The fuel indicator shows that it is full. I eventually get the crust I am looking for on the Creme Brulee, but it takes entirely too long.

I have always wanted a torch for Creme Brulee and I finally bought one. I am very pleased with the BonJour Chef's Torch. It is very easy to operate, I love that it has a viewable fuel gauge and it has a safety latch. I have aready used it for Creme Brulee and also to add a nice finished touch to some meringue. I recommend this to anybody looking for their first torch. - Creme Brulee - Butane Torch - Bonjour - Kitchen Gadgets'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information