Saturday 25 April 2009

Panasonic Razor - panasonic, panasonic razor


Ok, so this is my third Panasonic wet/dry shaver in about 5 years and, by far, this one is the best one yet. I've experimented with other manufacturers' shavers over the years, including Brauns, Norelcos and Grundig shavers, but I've ultimately found nirvana, ok, not quite nirvana, but a most pleasant shaving experience with Panasonic shavers. I love Panasonic's shavers because I like being able to shave in the shower with an electric shaver and a little glycerin based shaving foam (Gilette Series foam in the long silver tube works best for me and doesn't gum up the shaver like gels do). I swear, this unbeatable combination (i.e., shower steam, Panasonic wet/dry shaver and Gilette Series foam) shaves me closer than even the best blades that Gilette offers (at present, the Gilette Fusion) with far less irritation and with no annoying little cuts in conspicuous locations around my face and/or neck.



Just to review, my first Panasonic wet/dry was great and served me well for about 3 years, but when the Panasonic models came out a few years ago with the Vortex cleaning systems, I just had to have one, so I moved on to the model ES8078 wet/dry shaver. The ES8078 served me well for a year-and-a-half - until I dropped that bad boy in the shower earlier this week! 'Nuf said. It didn't break into a zillion pieces or anything, but the motor just stopped working. (It's actually kinda funny because I was so preoccupied with ensuring the safekeeping of that little shaver ever since I brought it home, chiding my poor wife for even looking at it wrong, and then my dumb arse drops the dang thing in the shower. AAARGHHHH!!!) Anyhow, after a quick review of the top of the line shavers from various manufacturers currently available (including the new Braun Pulsonic models), I opted to go for the latest offering from Panasonic. Even though the new Brauns cost $100 more than the Panasonics, their motors are still slower, and you still can't shave with 'em wet. For the uninitiated, higher motor speed = faster moving blades = less friction = less irritation. Panasonics have consistently had the highest motor speed available in any electric shaver.



I've shaved with the new ES8109S shaver for a few days now, and my first impression after the very first shave was that I got a very close shave (consistent with the performance of my prior Panasonics) and, try to understand this, my face did not FEEL as though I had just shaved. It may sound a little odd, but you know how your face feels sensitive to the touch after you typically shave? Well, that sensation, at least for me, was far less apparent after shaving with the new Panasonic. Heck, maybe it's the new curved blade and foil assembly that reduces irritation or something. In this respect, the new ES8109S actually outperforms Panasonic's prior top of the line offering (the ES8078) and actually causes even less shaving irritation than that model (which itself wasn't all that irritating to begin with). Also, much like the prior models, the little pop up trimmer on the side of the new shaver is great not only for trimming sideburns (which I actually never use it for), but also for capturing those awkward little hairs that lie flat or may be becoming ingrown. The latest model is also quieter than the last model and has a more substantial feel to it while holding it.



Oh, one more thing, the ES8109S comes with Panasonic's latest iteration of its Vortex Cleaning and charging base, which is slightly different from its prior models, but appears to use the same cleaning cartridge. The Vortex quietly cleans, lubricates and even fully recharges your shaver for you (alternatively, you can just plug the power cable for the Vortex directly into the shaver to recharge it). The cleaning/lubricating solution in the Vortex consists of a slender cartridge containing a detergent based solid that becomes "activated" when it mixes with water in the Vortex base. The cleaner is not alcohol-based, so it does not evaporate over time like the Braun cleaning solution does - along with the money you'll spend on their big, expensive refills.



In summary, I highly recommend the Panasonic ES8109S shaver to persons like me with sensitive skin that is prone to irritation (I know you're thinking, "Why didn't he just say that from the outset?") Hope this review helps!



LONG TERM UPDATE! - Well, I've had 8109S for almost one full year now and it's still going strong. I've noticed it's become slightly less efficient at capturing the few hairs on my cheeks that tend to lie flat, so it's about time for the annual changing of the foil, which I know (based on past experience with Panasonics) will restore the shaver to its fullest hair capturing & cutting potential. One tip I have about cleaning the razor - I shave and rinse clean my shaver every day, and I only clean it in the Vortex when it needs charging which, for me, is about once every two weeks. This cuts down on the usage of the cleaning cartridge. The need to clean your shaver will depend in large part on what you shave with (I use a foam, which tends to rinse cleaner than creams and gels). Also, one more tip regarding the cleaning cartridges in the Vortex cleaning system - you DON'T HAVE TO replace the cleaning solution at the manufacturer recommended interval. You can definitely get away with using them longer. I tend to use them until the service light on the Vortex base turns on, then I change the cleaning cartridge and water in the Vortex and it's good to go. I'm only on my third cleaning cartridge in the year I've owned the razor.



EVEN LONGER TERM UPDATE! - Well, it's a little over a year-and-a-half since I purchased this shaver, and it has died on me. It all started about two weeks ago when I noticed that it was holding less of a charge between chargings, i.e., I could get progressively less and less shaves per charge. Then the display started giving unintelligible readings that did not correspond to the charge level. Then, today, I go to try to turn on the shaver and no response. All in all, this shaver performed exceptionally well throughout it's lifespan and, considering the price of "next-best option" Gillette Fusion blades, was far less expensive, and less irritating, over time than shaving with blades. I have to admit I thought it would've lasted me a little longer than it did as past Panasonics I've owned have lasted longer. Now, I could try to have this thing repaired for some astronomical price, only to have it stop working again. Or, I could take this opportunity to purchase Panasonic's latest offering, the Arc IV Nano Men's Wet/Dry Rechargeable Shaver, which I've scoped out and seen positive reviews of here on Amazon. I think I'm going to go with the new Panasonic, but this time without the Vortex cleaning base as this was the 2nd Panasonic shaver I've owned (one of which I dropped) that I am now stuck with a useless Vortex cleaning base. Happy shopping! Panasonic ES8109S Vortex Wet/Dry Shaver with Nano Technology and HydraClean System - Panasonic - Razor - Panasonic Razor - Shaving'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information