Wednesday 29 April 2009

Docking Station - hp, notebook dock


This works beautifully and so much cheaper than my laptop manufactures (HP)docking station. I can do everything I wanted from a docking station "except" charge my laptop battery. I have hooked up a huge monitor, wireless keyboard, mouse & usb speakers (can hook up a printer also, I just have no need) and was HALF the price. It worked great straight out of the box but I did insert disk for drivers "just in case" and did run into a small problem when windows said installation failed but then Vista went right out to the internet and found the correct drivers and smooth sailing from then on. Now I can come and go from my desk with my laptop without having to plug & unplug everything each time ... just 1 vga/usb combo cord. Oh ... it IS vista 64 bit compatible and has it's own power supply. Glad I bought when I did, I see price has jumped almost 20.00 from what I paid just 10 days ago ... but it is definitely worth it!!!!! Cables To Go 28652 USB 2.0 Laptop Docking Station with Video (Black)

I liked the ps 2 connectors because I have an iogear toggle switch for another machine and this works better than a usb direct connection because I think you may get a power boost to the usbs and ps2s through the power supply. I also have a legacy scanner that runs on a parallel port. I also like the video extension for an auxiliary monitor which I hear is not universal with other generic docking station. However what is the point. I mean you have to make three connections: one usb , one monitor and one power supply to the notebook so it is far from plug and go away. The thing looks like a rube goldberg affair after you have all the cables connected. It only comes with three output USBs which means you will have to go native on the notebook if you want more (2 since one is dedicated to the docking station), lest you get a usb hub which adds further to the confusion. In the end all you have saved is an ethernet connection which is moot because most go wireless anyway. Any hopes of a headphone jack or an external audio must be done through a wasted usb port via an adapter. If you are serious the OEM quick dock may be the better solution with a single all in one true single connector- which BTW does not come with a ac adapter nor will charge your battery either.

I wanted to add an external monitor to my laptop so that I could use it as a desktop and figured I had nothing to lose other than a couple of weeks time for the refund to be credited back to my account if it didn"t work out in the end. This was $60 well spent. The installation and set up was really easy. It took me a couple of minutes to realize how to operate it with the laptop closed but once I got passed that it was smooth sailing. My only gripe was no where to hide the cords but for the little money I spent I'm sure I can be very creative on that front.

I use my new Cables To Go 28652 Docking station at home on a personal Dell XPS, and a work HP Elitebook 6930p. Both running Vista 32 bit. Connected to Viewsonic large LCD screen, Dell keyboard and Logitech mouse.

Pros:

everything connected to it works perfectly.

universal design.

price.

Cons:

no mic/head phone jacks. the workaround is to plug to the computer, or try a audio usb adapter but i'm cautiously optimistic on the sound reproduction.

Improveables (wish list):

1. more USB ports would be useful. the 3 built-ins for me are occupied by an external hard-drive and a multi function printer, leaving only one open for now (may get used to address the con though).

if you need more, you'll need usb extender or connect the components directly to the laptop. I like the solution HP offers the most which i use at work. It is a snap-in design that does it all in one step, though it is a dedicated design for specific HP models only. another option is to go wireless on some of this...hmmm.

2. industrial design. the way this docking station situates is more aptly described as just sort of hanging on the desk, next to the external monitor and behind the laptop. as opposed to securely sitting in position - leading to a messy display of the exposed cables.

3. ethernet connection setup could be easier. it is not plug & play. though i am happy with the wireless, the plug-in comes in handy when needed.

Not sure:

how it will work with Windows 7. though I'm not worried because of the current positive experience.



Finally, for me the pros outweigh the improveables and cons, so Cables To Go stays :)

------------

edit (11.23.09), changed from 4 stars to 2:

couple days into using the purchase and it has developed an external keyboard and mouse problem. every few minutes it will freeze for 10 to 20 seconds. this does not happen with the laptop(s) keys/mouse. i will troubleshoot and update on finding.

after talking to the Cables to go tech support twice, which were courteous and prompt, it is determined to be the docking station hardware issue. I will do a return. what i learned in this is that since I've plugged and unplugged the peripherals so many times, the process does not seem so bad as plugging directly to the laptop ensures perfect working order. i am ordering a usb extender to take care of all except for sound and the external monitor - that should be a reliable and inexpensive solution. In the future i plan to get laptops from manufacturers that make proprietary docking stations. i think HP, Levono and Apple are strong in that. - Hp - Port Replicator - Laptop Docking Stations - Notebook Dock'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • notebook dock
  • ,
  • hp
  • ,
  • port replicator
  • ,
  • laptop docking stations