Tuesday 28 April 2009

Home Safety - co, combination smoke


I spent a good amount of time in the fire safety aisle of a local store, reading packages and comparing units before selecting this particular one to replace an aging smoke-only alarm. This one has two different-sounding alarms (3 beeps for fire and 4 beeps for carbon monoxide) and runs on 2-AA batteries. The batteries can be replaced without taking the unit off the ceiling and the compartment won't close without batteries in it. I installed it by myself in just a couple of minutes with a pencil, drill, hammer and flathead screwdriver. It has several features I chose not to use, most involve locking systems to prevent tampering, but it is nice that they are offered. Also has a photoelectric sensor claiming to prevent false alarms from food smoke and shower steam. I think it's a great value for my family's safety.



**(12/20/08)**I would like to amend my review. A week after installing, the alarm started "chirping" 3 times at irregular intervals (once at 4:00am Sunday, then Tuesday at 1:30pm). I changed the batteries after a third incident (again in the early morning) and it was fine for another four days. The next time I took it down and noticed the back indicates the 3 "chirps" is to replace the alarm. I have had the thing less than a month and have to replace it already?!?!? What a CROCK!



**(12/22/08)**I called and spoke to a rep from First Alert on the phone who explained to me the unit runs a self-test every 90 seconds and if it fails, the alarm 'chirps'. He asked me a few questions and promised me a new unit in a week to ten days.



**(1/14/09)** I received a new unit in the mail today, hard to install with my fingers crossed.



**(3/3/09)**Another malfunctioning alarm, at five o'clock in the morning. I am through with this junk!! Buy only if you want to replace every 4-6 weeks. First Alert SC05CN Battery Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide/Smoke Alarm

I needed to replace a couple very old smoke detectors and decided to upgrade to a smoke and carbon dioxide detector. One of the problems with old smoke detectors is they use 9volt batteries which also are difficult to replace as well as expensive. This new First Alert dual smoke and carbon dioxide detector uses 2 AA batteries and has a separate battery compartment which allows you to replace the battery without taking the detector off the ceiling. Cheaper batteries and much easier to replace them. The cost at Amazon was only $30 and nicely cheaper than anywhere. All-around good service from Amazon. Very satisfied customer here.

I have rental properties and I decided to upgrade all units to have monoxide detectors. I decided on this unit because it is a two in one device and it used double AA batteries instead of the nine volts. My tenants keep complaining that these devices keep beeping. I looked on the back and 3 chirps = bad detector. I took a few of them down, put up the old ones and brought them to my home. They have not chirped since. Something about the other place is making these detectors fail.



Another thing is that I did not notice this but there is a 5 year life on these detectors and then they will chirp without any choice but to replace them. So even if yours works at first, you only will get 5 years out of it. I bought a total of 7 of these that cost me a few hundred and now I need to look for replacements. I wish I left all the old smoke detectors in.

Of course, First Alert is known for quality products, but this device is better yet. Very easy to install, easy to maintain (uses double A instead of 9 volt), relatively inexpensive and sounds an alarm shrill enough to wake up my 10 year old dog. Buy it!

Bought and installed one of these in my upstairs hallway.



Within 3 months of installation, the alarm began intermittently emitting the "3 rapid chirps" alarm, which means that the entire unit is bad and must be replaced. Extremely unreliable!

Like many other reviewers, the four that I bought are having intermittent spells of the dreaded "three chirps". Not sure what brings it on, but it seems to invariably happen in the middle of the night. Extremely annoying.

I bought two of these last year. Within a few months, we started getting false alarms. Three chirps in a row. Sometimes they would stop on their own. Other times, I would have to take them down, take out the batteries, and hang it up again later.



Each time, I tested the batteries. Each time, they were fine. I ever replaced the batteries a couple of times, just to be sure.



Don't buy these. They'll drive you to drink.

One month in place and have same 3 chirp problem. Company sending replacement, but now I expect problem to recur. Very disappointed because I bought 2 devices based on Consumer Reports recommendation for effectiveness. My model is SC501CN. Bought 4 smoke detectors too (SA302CN) and think one or two has same chirp problem. - Co - Smoke Alarms - Carbon Monoxide - Combination Smoke'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information