Monday 28 February 2011

Nike Plus Ipod - iphone 4, nike plus ipod


This is an excellent product that tracks your running/walking distance, speed and calorie expenditure. I use it with my iPhone 3GS. The running data is automatically uploaded to NikeRunning website when you sync your iPhone - that allows you to monitor your progress over time and also interact with the large running community there. The device is accurate - within 1% of my measured distance. I suspect that people who are getting inaccurate readings are not attaching the device to their shoes correctly. If you do not have Nike shoe with the special pocket for the device then you should buy one of the holders available on Amazon and put the device on your laces, with the logo side up, very snugly so that it does not move and as far forward on your shoe as possible so that it captures your foot motion completely.



The best part - this seller is the only one that provides free shipping - and ships pretty fast too. Highly recommend both the device and the seller. Note that an iPhone/iPod will lock onto a sensor - so its not a good idea to track more than one sensor with the same iPhone/iPod. Apple Nike + iPod Sensor - Wireless in-shoe sensor - Apple iPhone 3G S, Apple iPhone 4

It was a perfect and cheap way to keep track of my new sport, running. It works perfect with the iPhone 4 with no additional receiver needed. The receiver is built into the iPhone 3GS and 4 already so this is all you need. Go to your settings under general and turn on Nike + and you're ready to roll. I also purchased a silicon case for this sensor so I could put it on the outside of my Asics shoeslaces.

Despite the basically nice idea and combination with iOS it is an unacceptable rip off that the battery cannot be replaced. Not only from an environmental protection perspective, as many people will sooner or later through this cadium containing part in the standard home garbage, but also from a wallet protection perspective, you'll buy a really unnecessary "built-in-obsolecense" feature I have no understanding for. I once cut open the sensor and used a 50 cent CR2032 button cell with soldering tabs. If you don't bend the accelerometer (which is nothing but a simple piezo electric buzzer) you can revive the sensor with 45 minutes of work and a 50 cent replacement part. Why can't there be a standard watch-like compartment for the battery replacement? Shame on you Nike to care so little for our environment but only for da big bucks. Not only sports should be played fair!!!

I use my sensor with my 4th generation iPod (comes with Nike+ software) and a pair of Asics. I sewed my own waterproof case to attach to my shoes (because I'm thrifty like that--read cheap, lol) and I get perfectly accurate readings. My first race of the season was a 5k and it measured exact. I've been using the sensor while training for a half marathon in a few weeks and it has been really nice to have. I only have wifi with the iPod so other running apps (like mapmyrun) need the continuous wifi to get gps signal and track the run. This, however, will track my miles without that which is essential. It's fun to have and fun to track my miles and pace without needing to do the math in my head. I haven't experienced any issues with the battery yet and I'm not aware of how long a typical battery lasts, however I do agree with the poster who mentioned that it is wasteful and annoying that they don't just create a battery replacement hatch. I'm not sure I'm as savvy as he to figure out how to crack it open and replace the battery once it dies!

Results are not accurate! The mechanism by which this thing measures distance is very unsophisticated. IT DOES NOT USE GPS technology. So, if you ran slower or faster than when you calibrated the damn thing, your readings will be off. The greater the distances you run the more your readings will be off. I would recommend Nike not sell this product until they've figured out how to make it work properly.

DO NOT buy this item. It is poorly engineered and will most likely only last you for 80 hours, at best. Mine arrived on a Tuesday. I used it twice each day during 2 hour runs. It died on Friday, after only 9 total hours of use. I placed the iPod Sensor in my new Nike+ shoe and removed it at the end of each run, as recommended by Nike to preserve battery life. Nike says it should last 1000 hours. Unfortunately, I did not heed the warnings of other buyers, who have posted similar results at other websites. Sure, $20 isn't going to break the bank, but Nike isn't helping its image with this useless piece of junk. I could've asked the vendor for a refund, but decided to just chalk this up to experience. The worst part is that I could not record my last run because of the Nike device failure. I was considering the purchase of the new Nike+ GPS Sports Watch, which sells for $199. As soon as I read that it also includes an optional Nike+ in-shoe sensor, I decided against it. Instead, I decided to buy a Garmin FR 210 GPS sports watch, which includes a heart monitor and in-shoe sensor. The Garmin in-shoe sensor has a replaceable battery and costs approx. $50 if purchased separately, unlike the Nike in-shoe sensor, which is in essence, a disposable unit. DON'T BUY THIS SENSOR. YOU'LL REGRET IT!! - Nike Plus - Nike - Nike Plus Ipod - Iphone 4'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information