Thursday 29 July 2010

Frame-mounted Pumps - frame-mounted pumps, gauge


I bought this pump after looking at the advice on [...]. I've pumped up to 85psi, and could have probably gone higher. It does get harder to pump as you get in the higher pressure ranges, of course, and I don't know how my strength compares to potential purchasers, but I guess it would be important to know that you do have to push hard, and I'm a 48-yr old, 260 lb guy who enjoys weightlifting. I'm not saying it's excessively tough, and I cannot make a comparison to other pumps. I'm simply trying to make everyone aware of what to expect. For me, I think it's great.



I really appreciated all the extra features:

1) the flexible hose makes it easy to pump without worrying about stressing the valve



2)the pressure gauge prevents you from losing pressure when you take off the pump, check pressure with a separate guage, put the pump back on, take it off again to check pressure, etc. You just pump up to the desired pressure and you're done!



3) the fold out handle and foot stabilizer helps you get up to the higher pressures more easily.



I like it. My only recommedations for a better design would be a longer foot stabilizer (I have size 13 feet), an easier to read pressure gauge (as I said, I'm 48, so my eyes ain't so good anymore!), and better directions (virtually non-existent documentation -- I know we're talking about an air pump here, but since I hadn't ridden in a long time until we started bike-training for a 160 mile ride I wasn't "pump-savvy." I thought you should have the lever in the "up" position to put it on the valve, and push it down to secure it when pumping. Turns out it's the opposite!) Topeak Turbo Morph Bike Pump with Gauge

I bought this pump just prior to riding in the 2006 MS150 City-to-Shore Bicycle Tour (from Cherry Hill, NJ to Ocean City, NJ and back), a tour in which I experienced two flats on the first day. New Jersey has lots of glass on its highways, and a rainy start made said glass stick to tires and work its way in.

This pump performed exactly as advertised. It has a fold-out "foot" so it operates like a floor pump, and its integrated gauge worked perfectly. I easily achieved 95 lbs. of pressure. Good pump. Buy it with confidence.

I have use this only on the road when no other air source is available, and that is when it is at it's best. It will take you up over 100psi, but you will need to be well winded, it will take lots of pumping to get there and the last 10 or so pumps will be tough. The flip out handle is a good feature and necessary; when you pump above 70 PSI you will need that handle to spread the pressure on your hand. My hands are huge and find the fold out just barely adequate. Gauge is handy, but not accurate enough to get you within 5 PSI with any certainty. The fold out foot peg is great, it does keep the pump from pogo-ing. Use care, much of contruction is flimsy plastic and wouldn't take much to break. Excellent lightweight pump to carry on-board bike, but definitely not a a substitute for a hand pump back in garage.

I still use the first edition of this pump, the "master blaster w/gauge", on my commuting bike. It has seen me through 20,000 bicycle miles, 44 countries, 10 years of bicycle commuting, and MANY flats like a true champ.



The foot flap, the handle that turns to 90 degrees for pumping, and the gauge make this pump the next best thing to having an actual floor pump strapped to your back the moment you need it out on the road. The better gauge and "turbo" pumping on this new one are awesome. I carry it on my racing and touring bikes. It makes achieving the higher pressures in those tires much easier, and the gauge is more precise and much easier to see.



I own three versions of this pump, and I use them all. After much frustration with other pumps, I swear by this pump. It delivers. I have pitched all the other useless and ineffective ones that I purchased prior. This latest version is definitely worth the few extra dollars to get the top of the line features. It is lighter, faster, and more precise. Any of the versions are good, though. Like I said above, I still use my 10 years old one to fix those frustrating, half way home, and of course always in the dark and raining commuting flats, and it works just fine.



Happy cycling!! :)

Nice pump the gauge is a plus you can get the rite psi without going back and forth.It can inflate a tube pretty fast untill you get up around 65 psi it does become a job but you wont be there the whole day cursing.The floor stand is not even worth putting on the pump, sorry again if you want to make something sturdy try using metal not a tab of plastic.Great pump other wise thank you topeak and amazon for fast service.

i gave this pump a 4 because i have not had it long enough to test its durability and i think the foot stand is flimsy....But over all this pump is great...dosent take long to fill a tire, the hose makes it a lot easyer to pump being that you dont have to hold the pump and bike wheel to keep a good seal whyll pumping.... and then of course the presure gage is sweet so you can hit the right presure every time.....i say get it

I had opportunity to give this pump a very thorough test one week after I bought it from Amazon. While on a long ride I experienced three blow outs within 12 miles of a 67 mile ride. After the third blow out I discovered the cause for this very frustrating occurrence. A small slit in the side wall of the rear tire causing the tube to be exposed. After applying a tire patch inside the tire over this slit I made it home without further incidence. Each time the pump worked very well to bring the tire up to pressure. It required 150 pumps to bring the 26 X 1 1/4 inch tire up to 100 psi. The first 80 pumps I could comfortably do kneeling with one hand after which the next 70 pumps where then easily accomplished while standing using the handy foot pad and applying my body weight. Some criticize the fold down foot pad to be flimsy but I found it to be antiquate and do just what it is intended to do, hold the pump in place. The dial gauge is spot on accurate which I tested at home with a tire gauge. When removing the head from the valve after pumping I didn't have any problems losing air pressure like someone else stated. The pump mounts nicely on top of the frame of my Bacchetta Giro 20 recumbent. I also love the rubber hose. No struggling with the wheel or stressing out the tire valve. I'm so glad that I had this pump instead of the Co2 inflator that I used to carry. I would have been out of luck after the second flat as the three cylinders that I carried would only fill two tires. The pump never runs out of air. And it really doesn't take that long to fill a tire. Also I like that there is less stuff I need to carry around. Three or more Co2 cylinders, cylinder valve head, and tire gauge. - Frame Mounted Pump - Gauge - Frame-mounted Pumps - Topeak'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information