Thursday 29 July 2010

Lens Protection - lens hoods, lens protection


The ET60 fits the affordable Canon 300mm lens but if you're using it with, for example, a Rebel 300D or XT, it will also fit onto the standard 18-55mm lens -- however, when fully zoomed out, part of the hood is visible, creating somewhat of a circle in the frame. I happen to think it looks really cool, gives it a fisheye sort of feel. In regards to the 300 use, it seems to work pretty well and I use it at all times -- bright sun or late afternoon. As most people probably have said, lens hoods in general not only shade the lens from stray light or weird angles of the sun (which often, without a hood, makes the photo hazy or grey) but it also provides protection for the lens itself and filter. It's not much money if you're into photography, and it makes your lens look awesome. If you're a beginner and purchased a 300mm, you don't really need to get the hood. Keep it as something to look forward to once you've got some experience. Either way it's a nice piece to use. Canon ET60 Lens Hood for EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SLR Lens

Works fine on the 55-250 IS - no vignetting or other issues affecting image or usage. It is a longer hood as should be expected for a 250 or 300 lens. The hood lacks the felt lining of some of the higher quality Canon hoods (contains only the matte black in the inner area). Reverses for storage - obstructs only part of the zoom ring at the wider end and the lens is still usable. The focus ring is obstructed but this is almost always the case with reversed hoods.



Users state this hood also fits the 18-55 IS kit lens - this is half-true. The lens hood will fit the 18-55 but vignette at wide angles. Therefore, it is not a valid lens hood substitute for the 18-55 IS. I own the proper 18-55 lens hood which is probably 1/4th the length of the 55-250 hood and does not vignette.



The hood will also obstruct the zoom ring on the 18-55 kit lens when reversed. This is not a major issue by itself but just notable.



One last note: 75-300 users beware that this hood only works on the newer renditions of the lens (IS or USM). *Older 75-300 lenses are not compatible.*

It's a lens hood, what more can I say. It works fine for protecting from glare but at about 75mm focal length it does cause some vignetting on the corners of the frame. I hardly use it, I find my hand is just as effective at blocking the sun.

I hate that it's not included with the lens like my Sigma and Tamron lenshoods. And I kept telling myself I didn't really want or need the hood and that lenshoods are DUMB ANYWAY.



Then I gave in to my avarice and bit the bullet and bought it.



...and really like it.



It looks good, fits good, reverses nicely, isn't so large that it makes it diffcult to carry in a lenscase or camera bag, isn't rigid so it even absorbs a little shock if you bump it on something.



I'm still refusing to buy the lenshood for the kit lens, though, I mean come on, I have SOME dignity. :)

Even for a telephoto zoom, this lens hood is a pretty good size, sticking some 3" out past the lens. However, it is very lightweight, durable and will protect your lens from the occasional bump that always seems to happen, especially with such a long lens on your camera. It is rather a pain taking it on an off whenever you want to store your lens back in a case, so I suggest getting a longer lens case and just leaving it on.

I bought this as a gift for a amateur photographer, and she loves it. She uses it on her new SLR camera and gets beautiful photos! The price was good and the delivery time was much quicker than if I had to go out and purchase it.

I was looking for a lens hood for my 55-250mm, and 3rd party ones are around 13 dollars too so I thought I might as well get the original Canon ones for an extra couple of bucks. Turns out to be a worthwhile investment. The plastic is solid and it fits my 55-250mm perfectly and easily. Not in use? No problem. Just reverse mount it for storage! It doesn't take up much or even any additional extra space when kept in reverse with my lens.

I love my new lens hood. It fits the telephoto lens and my 18-55 mm lens just like the other reviews say. It's so easy to get on and off. I would recommend changing the lens to "manual focus" when screwing the lens hood on or off, but I'm just paranoid that I'm going to somehow mess up my autofocus function if I twist it too much. - Lens Protection - Canon - Lens Hoods - Digital Camera Lenses'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information