Monday 26 July 2010

Touch Screen Phone - cell phone, smartphone


I got an email from Verizon today. It says I am eligible for my "New every Two". I will have a nice new phone before the week is over.



I got my first Blackberry (the Curve) two years ago. I absolutely loved it! I told my husband it would be the last phone I ever had (as he shook his head, yeah right). But this review is not about the Curve, it is about the Storm- so here goes.



When I saw all the commercials and ads for the Storm, I was excited, since the iPhone was not available to me as a Verizon customer (and I am a Mac user). I researched and compared the two phones, and found they both had pros and cons of their own, but were fairly comparable depending on what you wanted it for.



Last Mother's Day, my husband came home with a brand new Blackberry Storm for me- paying... (and please don't shake your heads and roll your eyes- IT WAS MY GIFT!)... paying FULL RETAIL PRICE for it. Okay, so I thought of returning it... but I really was looking forward to using it, plus I was the only person I knew who had one! I gave my Curve to my husband. After the one month honeymoon of loving all the features and apps.... it takes great pictures and looks slick.... the honeymoon ended (of course it was also after the return window was no longer an option.)



The first thing I realized I hated was if you were talking hands-free by resting the phone between your shoulder and ear, the screen would depress and either mute or put the other party on speaker. I paid for an app to fix this (BerrySlider). In August, less than 3 months after owning this phone, I would hit the green talk button and the camera would start up; I would hit the lock button on top and the camera would start up; I would dial "one" for voicemail and the camera would start up. So I paid the 70 or so dollars for my "copay" under the warranty to have a new one sent to me. Great!



The new Storm worked great for about another month (although I still had the issue of not being able to rest the phone between my ear and shoulder, and I was getting tired of spending money on it, so I didn't repurchase the BerrySlider). Now my issue is that it freezes. CONSTANTLY. Let me repeat that. CONSTANTLY. It will work fine, then I'll get a phone call that I can't answer because I have the stupid ticking clock symbol in the middle of the screen. Let me also say that I do update my phone when it calls for an update, not that I think it has helped! I clear my internet cache, cookies and history as well.



I went into a Verizon store last month with a friend who was purchasing a new phone. She needed her work email address, which I have stored in my contacts. Guess what? It froze when I tried to go to contacts. I put my phone on the counter and told the rep it was the worst phone EVER. He said I just had too many things on the screen, so he moved a bunch of apps (like Facebook, Amazon, [...], Maps, etc) to the Downloads folder. Yeah, okay. Guess what? It seems to freeze even more now. I am now at the point where I am pulling my battery out AT LEAST once a day.



Would I recommend a Blackberry to anyone? Definitely! Would I recommend the Storm? Not to my worst enemy. If you don't believe me, check out the reviews on Verizon's own website. There are only a few that gave good ratings, and many owned it from one day to less than a month. I've put up with two of them in the past nine 1/2 months.



As for my "New Every Two", I am probably going to go with the Motorola Droid. I've owned Motorolas in the past and was not impressed, but it has great reviews, and I have a friend who has one and LOVES it, which says a lot to me. Hopefully, I will too!



Pros:

Sleek

Touchscreen (but nowadays, so many are!)

Pictures look great, especially on the big screen

The music player sounds really good

Lots of memory with the included 8mb mini SD card





Cons: It freezes constantly

Typing is not easy. I use landscape, which is easier, but it's still not great.

Software glitching a lot

Phone doesn't always ring, or freezes when you try to answer



Hopefully, this review helped. I'm a little sad to switch from Blackberry, plus their forums are great (Crackberry), but RIM, you lost me after the nightmare this Storm has been. I'm ready to try something new....



Now if I can just figure out what to do with this ridiculously expensive phone when I switch it out...... BlackBerry Storm 9500 Unlocked Phone with 3.15 MP Camera (Black)

Well, i purchased this item about a month and a half ago. At fist, I wanted to use it with my att company and it didnt work at all because Att doesnt offer this phone, but anyways, three days ago i came home ¨"Venezuela" for a family emergency, so i brough the phone with me to use while im down here, and now the phone is presenting problems with the battery, which i thought it was new, i guess not and the screen doesnt either, Im extremely disatisfaced with this phone and i want to get in contact with the company I bought it from because it isnt possible that in less than 2 months the phone is falling apart.



I am looking forward to hear back from you guys as soon as possible. Blackberry storm 9500



thanks

javascript:reviewTagSuggestions('unlocked blackberry storm') - Smartphone - Touch Screen Phone - Cell Phone - Blackberry Storm'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information