Wednesday 28 July 2010

Construction - 16 guage, nails


Well there's not much to say, except that they're nails and they work accordingly with my DeWalt finish nailer. Unfortunately though, I bought 'em because they were described by Amazon as being galvanized in a "hot dip" process in which case they should work in ACQ lumber that I'm building a fence out of. However, I wasn't so sure so I called DeWalt and found out that they are electro-galvanized, meaning NOT suitable for ACQ. So other than the good value, which is why I am keeping 'em, I guess don't buy 'em for outdoor use and don't believe the Amazon description. DEWALT DCS16150 1-1/2-Inch by 16 Gauge Finish Nail (2,500 per Box)

Bought these nails for my Porter Cable 16ga nailer. They were about 25% (with free shipping) less than what the Home Improvement stores sell 2,000pc packages. Other than that I don't see much difference over other manufacturers nails. I have only been doing work with pine trim so they drive very well.

I have been finishing the interior walls and ceilings of a house with 3/8 resawn paneling (in place of drywall). I am using these brads, with a Dewalt 18V brand nailer, to nail off the panels. The brads hold the panels well and they are not so long that they hit wires in the studs. As expected they do sometime mess up the panel face if you hit a nail plate with them. It is best not to pop any of these brads into the panel until your sure the panel is in the right spot. When hanging panels I have been holding the panel where I think it goes, then driving 3 brads into it with a hammer, not setting them all the way so that they can be pull out if needed. This holds the panel in place so I can check the gaps to make sure they are 1/16" or less before nailing it off the nailer.

I have a Hitachi NT65M2 16 GA nailer, which is a great tool, but doesn't like certain brands of nails. I have been using the Hitachi nails since I got the gun, but couldn't find them in 2 1/2" 16 GA. The Bostich nails jam my gun on every other nail, so I gave the DeWalts a try. They work as well as the Hitachi nails, and cost less. Recommended. - 16 Guage - 12 Inch - Nails - Finish Nails'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information