Tuesday 27 July 2010

Laser Printer - hp, networking


I have owned many different laser printers from HP, Dell, Lexmark, Brother and Samsung. This printer beats them all for three reasons:



1. Quick. When you hit print, the first page is out of the printer in less than 7 seconds. That is fast!



2. Quiet. You will hear the printer while it is printing, but when it is finished or in standby mode, it is quiet. If not silent. It sits right next to me and I don't notice it.



3. Small and good looking. When compared to older laser printers, this one is a model of good design. It sits compactly in the corner out of the way, but ready to serve at the touch of Ctrl P or the printer button.



4. Duplex perfection. First of all, watching this printer spit out a piece of paper and then inhale it to print the other side is really really neat. It is just plain fun to watch. Secondly, both sides come out printed perfectly.



5. Network Functionality. The printer was found without problem by my Windows 7 machine as well as my Mac. It just works.



6. Crisp Text. We purchase lasers because we want crisp text. This laser will make you proud.



This is a good printer and the price point is amazing for what it delivers.



Quick, Quiet, Fast, Good Looking, Duplex Perfection in a network printer with Crisp Text Output. What else do you need? HP engineers and designers hit a homerun on this one. HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn Printer (CE749A#BGJ)

I previously owned a LaserJet 6L which was a reliable printer in its day. Since then, I've purchased several color printers from other manufacturers. I went back to HP for their reliability.



This printer quickly prints documents, especially with the built-in duplexer. I can send a print job to it and the first page (one sided) is coming out of the printer in two seconds.



The down side is the cost of toner. Normally, I have the print density set at 2 out of 5, which is on the light side. Using Econo mode does save toner, but the text is more difficult to read in low light conditions, so I rarely use that mode.



The sample toner (allegedly 1000 pages) included with the printer printed less than 400 pages before white streaks in the text began appearing. After installing a new cartridge (78A) just 4 days ago and printing 760 pages, the printer is reporting that 30% (or 300 pages) is left. At over $83 per cartridge, including tax, that comes out to 8 cents per page. I just purchased 2 toners at $49 to help save money.



But to call this a "green" printer, when one has to replace the toner cartridge after only 1060 pages, is silly.

Disclaimer: I just bought this printer. I have only printed about 300 pages with it. I bought this printer to replace an aging HP Laserjet Model 4P.



Initial thoughts: WOW! This thing is super-fast. The double-sided printing is AMAZING. The text is crisp and clean. It's easy on toner, and has an economy mode (although I haven't tested it yet).



I can't say enough about how fast and smooth this printer is. I cued up a 300 page service manual I had in PDF form. The whole thing was printed and ready for reading in under 5 minutes.



One of the neatest features is that it goes completely silent and in low-power mode when not in use: you don't have to turn it on, it senses when you want to print, turns itself on, prints, and then shuts itself off.



It's a bit on the noisy side - but I really don't care about that.



Overall, money well spent.

I bought this printer from HP telling them I had a windows 7 (HP) computer. It would not print duplex without printing the reverse page upside down. I called help desk 3 times and got no help whatsoever, spending hours on the phone, trying everything they suggested. I was called by a "case manager," a snippy woman who said she was too busy to give me the help I needed. I called help desk again for a fourth time, this time after another 1 hour 50 min was told that there was a glitch in the program so that it does not work duplex with windows 7, and I should look in another month or two to see if HP has written a new program for this machine. No they would not notify me when this program is done, neither the help desk nor the snippy case manager. I should just keep looking at their site. It works on my old XP Pro machine. HP is HORRIBLE about notifying their support staff when they have a programming problem; this is the second time something like this has happened to me with an HP product.

A fast printer with crisp text and surprisingly nice black and white photo reproduction on regular paper for casual or temporary use. Be careful with hookup: I had many problems until I switched from one usb port on my PC to another (perhaps trouble with my PC, but I was told this printer requires high level communication between PC and printer so good connection is important). Ability to automatically print on both sides of sheet works very well for me and is a major attraction. No trouble with paper feeding. Envelope printing works OK for me but takes a little practice to correctly feed envelope in proper tray; once mastered it is fine for my purposes--if not "professional" quality some may demand--but certainly not bad at all and quite acceptable. Contrary to the experience of a one-star reviewer here, my printer came with a starter ink cartridge--not a full-size cartride but it has gotten me through several hundreds of documents of printing and is still going. (No usb cale, though) Ability to sleep when idle and then wake up immediately is welcome. Read the manual for many specific features to know about and learn how to use. Don't give up on learning fine points of on-screen preference menus that printer driver allows. It's worthwhile to experiment with finding choices and trying different ones. I can't comment on longevity or long-term operation and cost. Tech support was readily available; though they didnt solve my hookup problem they sort of pointed me in the right direction that allowed me to solve the USB issue on my own. Thank heaven I didn't immediately return unit. Once USB issue was resolved I became very happy with unit and wouln't want to have given it up. - Networking - Duplex - Hp - Printer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information