Saturday 31 July 2010

Ipod Car Mount - car mount, iphone charger


I really wanted to like this product. I actually bought both the LiquidAUX kit and the Deluxe kit. One to use in my car and one on my motorcycle with my iPhone.



I think they worked once or twice with some adjustments. I know people don't like one star reviews and usually mark them as 'not helpful'. Often times they are right because people rate them with one star because the weren't shipped fast enough or some complaint not related to the product. Or they got the one unit that happened to be DOA.



Not the case here. Here's the problems:



When the iPhone firmware was updated recently, it caused problems with the remote operating and the message that the product was not iPhone compatible. Okay, I checked the manufacturer's website and found their workaround. The message did indeed go away, but the remotes still didn't work.



I decided to try my iPod to see if the problem could be caused by the iPhone, but the remotes didn't work with it either. Called Kensington tech support and they told me (in IndiaEnglish) to try replacing the batteries in remote. This after providing them with the serial number (written in illegible microscopic print inside the remote).



To their credit, they told me they would send me two new remotes (or complete units. I really don't understand IndiaEnglish very well). I should have them in 10 to 12 business days. I didn't have to return the old ones, just trash them. This makes me think they probably have had a lot of problems with these products.



My next gripes have to do with the different models:



The standard LiquidAUX kit:



They must be poorly assembled since the first time I used it it would cut out intermittently. If I just touched the wires going into the power plug they would crackle and pop and had to be delicately positioned to work. The extension cable (which you need unless your cigarette lighter is right next to your mini plug socket) has the same problem, but not as bad.



The Deluxe LiquidAUX kit:



This unit relies on a tight fit in your lighter socket, or you won't be able to keep the thing upright. The clamps holding your phone are not very sturdy and difficult to unlatch to get your iPxxxx out. After a short time most of the physical connections loosen up and you need to prop the business end of the adapter against something to keep it from falling.



I bought both units in Lightning Deals so the price wasn't as bad as it could be. But I'd rather pay more and have something that actually works properly. If I was within the 30 day window, I would have returned them buth.



I am not happy with this purchase. Kensington LiquidAUX Deluxe Auxiliary Car Kit with Remote for iPod; iPhone 1G, 3G

I was eagerly awaiting this dock for my iPhone in order to use it in my 2005 Nissan Armada. Previously, I had just been using cables running from an iPhone dock to supply power (via the accessory jack in the Armada's console) and for sound output (1/8" mini stereo cable to aux input on the console). This worked fine, although the dock and phone would fall over on sharp turns.



I connected the LiquidAUX Deluxe to the accessory jack without difficulty, although in the Armada, the jack is recessed about 1.5" deeper than the rest of the console, so that the back of the cradle was actually close to touching some of the console control knobs (like climate control). I noted that the cradle was a bit top heavy, and driving around, particularly over some bumps, caused the power connection in the accessory jack to intermittently disconnect, so that music stopped playing, and the iPhone stopped charging, until I jiggled the connection to restore power. Occasionally, the whole dock would pivot 90 degrees due to the weight at the top.



I do like the ability to adjust the gooseneck and the overall compactness of the dock, which by the way, accommodates both the original iPhone and the new iPhone 3G, although it takes a bit of finagling to get the 3G to seat on the dock connector.



I think I will return the item, and get the LiquidAUX non-Deluxe version, which is the same thing without the gooseneck and dock. I will connect the iPhone and just rest it in the console - I don't necessarily need to see the screen while driving.

This cradle can charge both 2g and 3g iPhones. It sits securely and is not too difficult to dock the iPhone with Apple's proprietary USB connector. Kensington made the USB dock mount adjustable/slide-able. Essentially, when you mount the iPhone/iPod, the USB dock can slide (or stay in place) to an appropriate mount position; hope that didn't sound too confusing. The auxiliary input (as well as the provided extended wire) works well and the wire is lined with a nice "mountain climbing rope" fabric; feels like it was made with high quality materials. It's not made with that cheap rubbery plastic molding that most auxiliary wires come with. The remote works well and mounts well with the steering wheel. However, your hands will need to readjust the new additional peripheral added to your steering wheel.



I love using this mount for the GPS "google" maps mode. I personally think its a great buy for car charging and iphone usage! Now, my car crash percentages have jumped 400%; a bit of sarcasm! - Car Mount - Remote Control - Ipod Car Mount - Iphone Charger'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information