Monday 26 July 2010

Olympus Digital Recorders


I know I have to do this justice because I've been looking for a decent review of this product for the last hour. This is my first digital audio recorder and it's pretty amazing this simple gadget has so many functions.



I like the VOR function where it will automatically stop recording once the person stops talking. I'm using this for audio dictation so it's useful when the person talking will pause. It also has 534 hours of recording time which is much more than I can use but happy to have access to. For a first time user, this rocks because I used to use tapes and they suck. Now that I've gone digital I can have access to clear audio with all the cool functions I may need.



I promised I wouldn't go crazy over a fancy one because my needs were very basic and it didn't justify to over $100 price range.



The only drawback was lack of a USB port to connect to my computer but in fact I don't need it because I'm using it for my own dictation which do not demand a audio to text application. Also, the audio does not need to be shared through a digital file.



Overall, if you are looking for a budget recorder and don't want to buy into the salesman upselling you, then go for this one. You will not be disappointed. Sony ICD-BX800 2 GB Flash Memory Digital Voice Recorder (Silver)

I purchased mine at Walmart and after learning all it's features I have to say I'm extremely impressed.



1) This can connect to your PC via a mini male RCA pin on each end of the wire. The same wire you would use for an MP3 player.



2) Connect from recorder's earplug to your PC'S input on laptops (sound-card on Desktops) and Record "What You Hear". Of course you can control the bit-rate of the recording if you choose to.



3) You can also play it through your car stereo if it has an auxiliary input, many cars today do. Use the same wire you would use for an MP3 player.



4) You can make a recording and set an alarm to it to go off daily, weekly, etc. I made one screaming at myself to get out of bed and get to work. Even if it's off and the hold key is set to hold, the alarm still goes off daily.



5) I recorded a live 50's band just having the unit on our table and was really surprised how clear the recording was when I played it back in my car, the drums cymbal's were surprisingly accurate.



6) I enjoy the different folders and once you use them they're great to have.



7) You can also connect an auxiliary stereo microphone and record stereo and it will play back in stereo using an auxiliary source that's plays stereo. Make sure you have an RCA mini stereo plug.



8) When recording do not place it near anything that generates radio frequencies such as a PC or cell phone when transmitting, you will hear background noise if you do.



9) Batteries appear to last forever and in closing, I find this mini recorder absolutely amazing and considering all the features it has and its capabilities it truly is an amazing little recorder for its price.

This recorder is not the most sophisticated one on the market, but it does the job very well. I needed a basic recorder and this one is just that. The recordings are clear, even when the speaker is not a loud speaker. As long as you do not need to be able to load your recordings onto a computer, this recorder will be quite efficient for recording lectures, conversations, or what ever else you need the device for.

For several years now, Sony has offered several audio recorders in this style, and also more expensive versions like the ICD-PX820. One of the most important features has been a USB port that allowed you to download recordings to your PC using Sony software. It's a very logical feature, much the same as being able to download images from a digital camera to your PC. After I got the ICD-BX800 to the office where I use it, I was shocked to see the USB port was gone. This means you have no way to permanently store audio recordings. I can't imagine what the engineers at Sony were thinking. I may have to take this back and spend a lot more money for another recorder that allows me to keep copies of my recordings. This is really a critical flaw. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this product at all.

Bought device to record conversation in meeting. Did not think would pick up other person's statements. Recording device was in side pocket of purse by me and on floor--in front of large wooden desk about 9-10 ft away from the other person. Obviously I am heard well, but can hear other person clearly when volume turned up. Surprising since the desk was closed on front and sides, and other person was not a loud speaker. Do not have volume turned up before recording. Tape player can come on when picking up purse if something hits play button---luckly this happened about 2 minutes after leaving that office.

I had one of these before and it was fantastic. I was so disappointed in this one. It does not connect to my computer and has no power jack - it only runs on batteries. The sound quality is ok for voice only, no music even though it is mp3. Does not feel sturdy, just thin plastic. If I had known I would have spent more money and bought a better one. I thought this was a good one, not worth the money.

If you need a great inexpensive MP3 recorder this is the one. However please know (as other reviewers have) that you cannot just plug it into your USB port and copy the files over to your computer. Instead you'll have to get a special wire that is like a earphones cord with the plug part on both sides ( you can get this at Radioshack or another electronics store for a few bucks) and get some software that will record it on the computer, they do have free software that will do this just go to CNET.com and search for MP3 Recorder. It's a big pain so be careful. Very lightweight which is nice and great sound!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Olympus Digital Recorders Olympus Digital Recorders Olympus Digital Recorders