Friday 30 July 2010

Signal Booster - signal booster, extender


EnGenius ERB 9250 Range Expander

I feel it is necessary to give my review on the EnGenius ERB9250 2.4 GHZ 300 Mbps Wireless N Range Extender to help others like myself with bad wireless connections. 03-15-2011-update My Linksys WRT600N router blew the 2.4 Ghz circuit (5-6 years old), the 5.0 Ghz remained, but this is the signal that doesn't penetrate walls. I now have a new EnGenius ESR 9855G Wireless N, 2.4 Ghtz-only router. This is working fine. The remaining content is based on my Linksys WRT 600N wireless router. I have used in the past a Linksys WRE54G - G Range Expander b/g with a with a Linksys WRT54G router to the same location. I am currently running 300Mbps with an excellent signal. In the past my Linksys WRE 54 G range expander had a maximum 54 Mbps with a fair to poor signal strength, used in combination with the WRT600N router and a HP premium "N" adapter. This old setup ran typically 2-20 Mbps with a fair to poor signal.



I am technical average, below average or novice when it comes to wireless networking. After reading someone's comment maybe I'm an expert and just doesn't know it. I have spent hours enhancing locations, changing configurations, and praying for a decent signal. I have by pure accident discovered solutions to problems that no one ever addresses. I've come to the conclusion that the advanced techs out there work for the manufactures sales department and really don't understand wireless systems and their wireless routers. Very seldom can you actually talk with someone. If you do get a hold of someone, they seem to know a lot less than me, which is frightening.



I have a home office in a separate building from my home. The nearest exterior stucco wall to exterior stucco wall is 17 feet. I have my WRT600N (now ESR 9855G) wireless router in my family room which is a straight 49 feet from my EnGenius ERB9250 Range Expander in my office. The Range Expander is 7 feet from my computer. The signal is going through 3 walls with windows.



I am writing to help people like myself.



Number 1 -Important Things That All Web Sites Stress -you can just ignore. You REALLY DO NOT need to pay attention to: 1) line of sight (you shouldn't have obstacles) between the router and the range expander. They must be living in a tent, but I really don't know anyone that is so lucky as to not have obstacles i their way. DUMB LESSONS are important lessons or information I have learned creating a decent wireless network and is probably more information than what you need. DUMB MISTAKES are mistakes I made, but because of frustrations, and trying to think logically when I am tired and frustrated; these mistakes have eaten a tremendous amount of my time and were quite easy to fix.



Dumb Lesson #1 the 2.4 GHz setting is to broadcast all Wireless N, Wireless G, and Wireless B systems all at the same time on all this same frequency. REMEMBER THIS RANGE EXPANDER (WRT600N) IS USING ONLY THE 2.4GHz part of the Wireless Router, not the 5.0GHz. My new router only broadcasts in 2.4 GHz. I originally thought that 5.0 Ghz was only N systems, and 2.4 Ghz was only B or G systems, wrong. 2.4 can be for all three. A, B, G, and N are just standards. N is the most recent allowing higher transfer speeds and more unused frequencies. The frequencies are by far the most misunderstood.



Dumb lesson # 2, Misinformation is very prevalent even from known authorities. Just remember, this is part of the problem we all deal with and affects our judgment, when we try to make improvements to our wireless networks. The higher the frequency the more likely it will penetrate walls. This is the complete opposite from what all the wireless geeks say. 5.0 GHz will do better than 2.4GHz going through walls. This is straight from my engineer father-in law who helped put the lander on the moon. So ignore what is being said by so called experts, I am a wireless novice with real scientific information. 5.0 GHZ has less distortion from other electronic products in your home. Therefore it has a clearer less obstructed and distorted signal from other household devices. Items that can overlap the 2.4 GHz are: wireless telephones, remote controls, wireless game controls, microwaves, and many more. Ignore this concern. Using a wireless G router, my 2.4 GHz cordless phone blocked all wireless signals. I bought a new DECT 6.0 phone. No more problems. WHY 5.0 Ghz APPEEARS TO BE WORSE is that 5.0 Ghz takes an extremely large amount of power to go the same distance as 2.4GHz, which the best consumer wireless routers don't have. The router and adapters signals are really going around walls and through windows to best of their abilities. My need has been getting my wireless signal to a far distance with a decent signal and decent speed. The 2.4 GHz is the only way to go with the "N" standard setting allowing the faster transfer rates up to 300 Mbps and a much longer distance with a range expander. Maybe someday 5.0 Ghz wireless routers with be available with more power, but don't count on it with all the energy efficiency requirements.



For the WRT 600 N wireless router:

A) Get access to your router through the IP address using your web browser at 192.168.1.1, click on the "Wireless" button next to "Set Up" - Basic Wireless settings the 5.0 GHz setting the 3 bottom categories for Radio Band, Wide Channel, Standard channel set all of them to AUTO. The Basic Settings for the bottom 2.4 GHz are Standard 20 MHz, Auto, and Auto. Under the 5.0 GHz -Wireless Mode setting, set it to Wireless N, Network Name SSID to something similar to your original network you have chosen, such as Digital add underscore media so you know what name you are looking for "Digital_media" and your regular Network to "Digital".



B) Under 2.4 GHz set the Wireless Mode to "Mixed." "Mixed" allows everyone in your network to use your Wireless Network no matter what kind of adapter they have (a, b, g, and n) for their computer. This is probably the biggest mistake and most misunderstood setting.

Dumb lesson # 3, I learned that the Dual Wireless Adapters will LOOK FOR MORE THAN ONE NETWORK AT THE SAME TIME, hence the name DUAL.



C) You need to set up your wireless adapters that are dual G & N adapters on each computer to do just that, by going to Control Panel, "Network" or "Network and the Internet", you need to get into the network adapter setting. It is very easy in Windows XP and Windows 7, which is what I use. The web also has good details on doing this.



D) If you have a Wireless Router N router always use security at least WPA2-Personal and give each of your network users the password, set the encryption at "AES". It is easiest to use the same password for 5.0 GHz as well as 2.4GHz. Remember old "B and A" standard adapters don't allow encryption. If you are using Older Network Adapters in your network of computers you can't have a WEP or WPA security password. The old computers and adapters don't allow encryptions and won't be able to connect to you network. My new ESR 9855G router allows up to 4 accounts using the same setup and guest users. I enable an additional account with a simple password for my visiting clients and friends and then uncheck the additional account box when they leave so it doesn't disrupt the 4 users and 2 businesses at my home.



CONTINUEING

Dumb lesson #4, The real reason the N standard is important is the transfer rates and MIMO. MIMO (Multiple Input, Multiple Output) refers to the ability of 802.11n and similar technologies to coordinate multiple simultaneous radio signals. MIMO increases both the range and throughput of a wireless network.



Dumb Lesson # 5, My wife would come to visit in my home office (separate building) in the late morning to see how my day was going. When she left my wireless signal disappeared. I was beginning to think she was really from Venus. This went on for 2 months and had me totally baffled. Solution - when she came to visit me in the morning I had my sliding glass door closed to keep the heat in the office. In the late morning after warming up outside, she left my office by opening the sliding glass door and closing the screen door behind her and saying, "enjoy the nice weather outside." My wire screen door was blocking my signal. I went down to the hardware store and replaced my screen with a heavy duty pet screen material made of some tough durable synthetic rubber/fiberglass material and I had my solution and signal back. I also replaced 2 other screen doors in my house, because of this issue. The signal strength did improve significantly.



DUMB MISTAKES WHEN TIRED AND SETTING UP THIS WIRELESS RANGE EXTENDER

Dumb mistake #1, I tried to setup my Wireless ERB9250 Range Expander using the "Manual Configuration," I plugged the LAN connection into the back of the wireless router for a network connection. Then I tried to go to the ISP 192.168.1.2. Wrong you must plug it into the wired LAN connection in the back of your computer's wired LAN connection. I had to reread the booklet. The online booklet doesn't specify this.



Dumb mistake #2, When I resolved my dumb mistake #1, and plugged it into the LAN connection, I went to ISP 192.168.2 and it wouldn't connect. It just said Windows Internet Explorer connection is not available. After scratching my head a few minutes, it dawned on me that I had to connect to the wired LAN (Local Area Network), not the wireless LAN. So I disabled the wireless adapter and allowed the computer to connect to LAN with ISP 192.168.1.2 and then followed the directions in the booklet. Note: it may be easier to print out the setup booklet online at EnGenius web site than to read the small size 6 font in the booklet, especially at night (see the missing note on the online booklet - connect to the wired LAN on the COMPUTER.



Dumb mistake #3, After I disconnected the range expander from the back of the computer and relocated the ranger expander, I plugged in the device and the yellow LAN light didn't go on. Since in the past range expanders have not been fun to connect to for this beginner; I assumed that the settings didn't calibrate. The yellow LAN light was out. And to verify the setting were saved and working the yellow LAN light should be a steady yellow. Aha! the yellow LAN light was out, because it was not connected anymore to the LAN, but to the Wireless LAN. No wonder my wife kept telling me to get to bed, this was at 2:00 AM.



Dumb mistake #4, Don't ever remove your firewalls between the modem and the router or the router and your computer. I have had to remove myself the router and tie directly to the commercial modem (non-firewalled). It was necessary for as a result of a wired router failure. I was off the router for 1 day and night. That firewall had been protecting me from an ingenious high school computer nerd. Please note that the actual name I used was quite different. My virus protection including its firewall does nothing when you are on tied to open network. It didn't stop the high schooler from taking over my computer late one night. All my files and programs were deleted in the morning. My savior was a college educated computer tech (nerd). He recovered everything except 2 MS Excel files. He also discovered I aka the high schooler had sent out totally disgusting e-mails to my closest and best friends. My computer savior tracked down the high schooler's ISP (Internet Service Provider). His parents weren't happy when they received their disconnect notice. Just remember firewalls are needed, generally one from your virus program or Windows program, but not both. Two firewalls being used at the same time causes installation problems for programs. Something Norton, McAfee, and others don't discuss, the firewalls and virus programs will slow down you transfer rates significantly when you have average to weak signals. This is discussed very little on the Internet, but It Is a Substantial Loss Of transfer speeds. Before you resort to that tactic, buy this range extender. I am running Norton Internet Security on my new computer, and AVG internet Security on my other family's computers with my virus programs installed on my computer to firewall the router. My speed is still 300 Mbps and excellent signal.



The EnGenius ERB 9250 Range Expander is now connected to my 2.4 GHz signal under the wireless "N" standard with an excellent signal, and with a 300 Mbps download speed, I am really not sure what the upload speed is, but with my New HPE 480t, Intel 930 i7, 2.80 GHz processor, HP premium wireless adapter and 9 GB RAM it is screaming fast and my computer waits for web sites with slow download speeds. My wife's Dell Inspiron (6 years old) is using my old "N" adapter with 220 Mbps with a very good wireless signal (it is in our computer closet - 3 walls), my 2 daughters' lap tops a Dell (3 years old) and a HP (6 months old) they are maintaining 54 Mbps , excellent signals with their "G" adapters and all of us are online. 4-5-2011 I am maintaining 300 Mbps and an excellent signal with my new router and this range expander.



This range expander with the old router and new router are OUTSTANDING, Ease of installation is GOOD (compared to the lack of knowledge with my first range expander). Quality appears excellent, only time will tell. I would highly recommend this EnGenius ERB 9250 range expander to anyone that has been subject to my typical poor to weak signal, and an absolute max of 54 Mbps with an average of 12 Mbps and a fair to poor signal strength. I am thrilled so far with its outstanding performance.



NEW MODEM PROBLEM, issue resolved 03/21/2011 -- This is such a new issue that I doubt that anyone has heard about this. All cable companies and phone companies want you to rent a combination modem and wireless router combination from them. See below- my latest nightmare that almost did me in:



My wireless network went down when my WRT 600N router died. Unknown to me Charter Internet Service was upgrading their system to higher internet download speed at the same time. I installed my new ESR 9855G router and I didn't have an internet signal, but I could connect to my wireless network. I could connect WIRED to my modem and computer, NOT WIRED FROM MODEM TO ROUTER TO COMPUTER. 7 days of lost business, another wireless router purchased (2 total), a new modem from Charter, and Charter's technician's service call; nothing worked to fix my wireless internet connection. Just a quick side note, when you are connected wirelessly, make sure you have an internet connection also. Your router serves 2 separate and distinct functions.



Back to the internet for more research: Buried in a technical article about parameters for signal strength and distortion on cable and DSL signals was a vague mention of higher speed internet signals causing wireless routers to fail, because old version MODEMS create their own distortions resulting in a poor signal conversion for new high-tech wired and wireless routers. After begging and pleading with a service desk representative to receive a new state-of-the-art modem, who initially told me that the only had one kind of modem, she broke down a gave me a new out of the box modem, which Charter had just received. I did not exaggerate by begging and pleading. Returning home, I called the in the activation number and plugged in everything. I had wireless internet service immediately. This is after the visiting technician and three technicians at the technical department said that everything was fine (different days) as reported by the modem. They all insisted, "Modems don't have problems like this. They fail and you will know it." All signals were within parameters and tolerances. They themselves didn't realize that, when they are looking at their measurements, it is from the signal coming into the modem. Signal coming out of the modem are assumed to be the same. Company representative generally have no idea why, in this instance they changed modem manufacturers. Everyone including EnGenius technicians suggested I turn in the new wireless router for the third new router. By the way my new router the EnGenius ESR 9855G, has been working great. EnGenius was more than willing to help me obtain a new third router.



I truly hope this information helps. I had to do a lot of research on wireless networks for myself. I use it on 2 businesses. Wired systems are always recommended, but I would have had to run wires all around my property. I believe it is important to share and help each other. I have personally had very little beneficial help in frustrating computer problems and have been misdirected so many times. There is a huge lack of good quality correct information. If you find this to be inaccurate, please e-mail me. If you have a suggested web site to post this help information to help others, please let me know. I have been working on my distance issue since June 2006 until November 2010. I believe it is resolved completely, until the next new technological glitch.



Good Luck and have patience,



Bass Trout Master BassTroutMaster@gmail.com



P.S. I received some great feedback on my help. Thanks, but no, I'm a mortgage broker, not a computer tech. ERB9250 11N 300MB 11N Range Extender Removable Antenna 1 10/100 - Expander - Wireless N Range Extender - Signal Booster - Extender'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information