Monday 26 July 2010

Grooming Tools - dog grooming, dog nail clippers


Purchased this in the LARGE size (MEANT FOR MEDIUM TO LARGE-SIZED DOGS) to clip my German Shepherd's nails and sorry I did. It's not sharp enough and doesn't cut well, no matter how I hold it and instead of cutting his nails, it crushes, cracks and splinters them. In addition, this is made very flimsy with the handles flexing and bending during use and the blade assembly flexing and not cutting straight. Judging by the way he squirmed and whined, it must hurt him too. (The professional scissor-type version wasn't any better either.) It might work better for a smaller dog, but not for a larger one. Will not use this again. Instead, bought a Dremel brand nail grinder with a rechargeable battery pack which works wonderfully and he doesn't mind getting his nails done at all. Hope this helps some pet avoid discomfort. Safari Guillotine Large Nail Trimmer

I don't usually leave reviews but was so thrilled with these clippers I had to. We've had nothing but problems trying to get our dogs nails clipped. We have resorted to using knock out pills given to us by our vet. I hated doing it and knew there had to be something out there to help us. I found these. The reason they work for us is they are virtually noiseless. I think what bothered her the most was hearing the click of our other clippers. These make no noise and she actually lets us clip her nails! Wonderful clippers. Think I may buy another pair just in case they ever stop making them!

We had misplaced the trimmer we've had for several years, so I ordered this one. The first time I used this on my cat's first claw, she actually yelped in agony.



The explanation is simple: Look at the two photos I've loaded above, and examine the cutting head of each tool. I rubberbanded the handles on both tools closed so the cutting action can be observed.



In the first photo of the older Lambert Kay trimmer (we finally found it), you'll see the two pieces of the cutting head are parallel and tight against each other. This allows for a clean cut of the claw.



Now examine the second photo of the Safari trimmer: Note how the gap between the two pieces. The claw gets caught in that space, and instead of a clean cut, gets crushed.



The original French guillotine was considered to be a device of terror, so this Safari trimmer is aptly named. I immediately returned this to Amazon for a refund, and I would highly suggest avoiding its purchase.

I purchased this nail trimmer to use on our family's rat terrier. It works well enough. However, sometimes it doesn't cut quite all away through the nail and I have to re-trim the nail. This isn't the best dog nail trimmer around, but it will do the job for small to mid-size dogs. I have a friend who has a pet bird and though this nail trimmer is marketed more towards dogs, she uses it for her bird without any problems.

There are, of course, different types of nail trimmers for cats and dogs on the market, but I find the guillotine type to be the easiest to use by far. It works best for me if I hold it upside down. You simply insert the claw into the circle and snip, just like you were using wire cutters. My cats were a little hesitant at first, but, once I got better at it (which is to say, able to do it more quickly), they got much better at enduring it. I probably don't trim as closely as the vet would - I basically just take the barb off the claw, but by using it on a regular basis, it keeps them from getting stuck in the carpet. It's scary the first couple of times you use it, of course. It helps to have an accomplice to hold the animal and a styptic pencil nearby just in case you cut to the quick and draw blood. I've never even come close to cutting them that short, but I feel better just knowing I have the styptic pencil handy, just in case.

My little one didn't mind these clippers to much until they started getting dull.

These are just ok. Fairly well made. Get dull quickly. And I can't seem to find replacement blades anywhere. So it's a case of..when dull you have to continually buy a new one.

The clippers do what they are supposed to do. They are not the highest quality but for the price, it is to be expected. If you just take a little care when you use them and file the edges, you will be fine.

Clipper does it's job. The cutter doesn't stay close to the nail holder though when it is used, there is a gap. Makes nail cutting a bit harder. I turn it around the "wrong" way to use it so that it clips better. As long as it holds up for a few years it will be worth the purchase.

I'm not 100% thrilled with this product. My dog never used to care when I touched her paws but now that I tried to clip them, I think it splintered the nails which is making her very afraid. I think I leave the nail clipping to the groomer or vet. - Dog Nail Clippers - Grooming Tools - Dog Grooming - Pet Grooming Tool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information