Sunday 25 July 2010

Impact Wrenches - bare-tool, i own it


This is a useful tool with more power than you'd expect for its small size.



It's about 1.5 times the size and weight of my 1/4" hex drive impact tool but seems to have 4x the power. This obviously isn't going to out drive an air powered impact wrench but has more than enough power to handle lug nuts.



The only time this tool failed to impress me was removing large diameter stainless steel fasteners with seriously galled threads (an antenna mount that had been on our office roof for 10+ years.) The DC820B could break the seized 3/8 bolts but didn't have the power to break the 1/2" bolts. It tried and tried but couldn't quite get the job done. I could feel a slight flexing of the tool in my grip that probably robbed torque from the job at hand. To be fair, I had removed more than 50 bolts before attempting to free the seized bolts and didn't take the time to replace the battery so this isn't conclusive, your results may be better.



The only real design complaint I have about this tool is the socket retention mechanism. Instead of the spring loaded ball or hog ring systems used on most 1/2 air impact tools this one has a spring loaded "detent pin retention system". On my tool this requires using a small screwdriver or similar tool to push in the retention pin every time you want to change a socket. It was a hassle at first but now I just leave a short impact extension on the tool and change sockets on the extension.



I mention this since when looking at the parts diagram it appears that Dewalt has different models that use the hog ring system. One of those might be a better choice if you change sockets frequently.



Like one or two other reviewers mine emits a slight burning smell that seems to have gotten less noticeable the longer I use the tool. I have some other Dewalt tools that had the same problem but none have died (so far at least) Bare-Tool DEWALT DC820B 1/2-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Impact Wrench (Tool Only, No Battery)

This tool is small and light but has plenty of power for any 1/2" socket you would be likely to use. It works best with the lithium battery but the nicad works just fine although noticeably heavier. After using this tool hard for several days I'm not sure 5 stars is enough. The work performed per pound would have been unimaginable a few years back.

A friend of mine has one of these and I had to have one. Wow! My favorite cordless DeWalt, no doubt! First use was to remove the blades from my riding mower....Zip! No holding the blades, off and back on again, so easy! Plenty of power! So, be careful! This thing has enough torgue to snap bolts! I am extremely happy and satisfied with this purchase!

If you are looking at the DC823 or DC825 or any other 18v impact, get this instead. Why? 25% more torque than DC825 (1330 in/lb) and 240 more inch pounds than DC823(1500in/lb). The DC820 has 1740 in/lb. With a couple simple adapters you can do anything you can with the other 2 impacts. Any "impact rated" 1/2" to 3/8" adapter will get you the functionality of the DC823. There are several adapters to go from 1/2" to 1/4" hex as well, I chose the "ASIN:B002KKBBR4 Milwaukee 48-03-4410 Shockwave 1/2-Inch Square by 1/4-Inch Hex Adapter" and now I can do anything the DC825 can do as well. Just one bit of caution however when using it with the 1/4 hex adapter to drive screws, it is so powerful you can overdrive/break normal strength fasteners if you aren't paying attention. I also have the option of just putting a socket on and using it for automotive applications. It pulls lugs nuts off like a champ. This thing rocks, just buy it already!

This little tool will amaze you. When I got it I couldn't wait to test it out so I went out and removed a lug nut off a 2000 model Dodge Ram 1500. I have a Kobalt 1/2 Air impact that I also use, this thing worked just as fast as my air impact. I must admit though I have never felt that the Kobalt was as strong as it should be. Loved the fact I could buy just the tool since I had the 18v batteries from my combo set I bought 3-4 yrs ago. Very highly recommended. I also got the smell with the first couple of uses.

I purchased the 820B impact as a bare tool since I have several DeWalt tools with batteries and I was quickly and completely amazed. It is lightweight, has tremendous power and with the quick change adapters available it is indeed the most versatile tool I own. I can't imagine how anyone could be disappointed with this tool.

Well, I got to choose a father's day present, and the impact wrench won out. It was the low cost alternative to buying a huge compressor and all the air ratchets I could want. I'm a car enthusiast, but I usually work with limited space here where we live. So having something as small and portable is a huge plus! So far I've only done a handful of projects in which I used this thing, but every time it's cut the work time in half. Instead of endlessly spinning a socket wrench, I just put the socket on and pull the trigger! Completely worth every cent we spent on it! We'll see how it continues to hold up in the coming months as we put it to work on rusty engine bolts, but it's performed wonderfully so far!

Mine was packaged brand new in clean, sharp retail packaging with brand new details everywhere and absolutely zero signs of use. Did yours have a gun powder smell from the fan vents when the motor was run under zero load?



Well yours was as new as mine then. I assume that smell is that of a new Dewalt impact tool.



I also add that mine is capable of pulling off lug nuts set at 110 ft/lbs without any drama.



I guess about 2-3 vehicles or about a full work day between recharges on the 2.4 mAh pack for your average mechanic in your average garage - maybe weeks for your average shadetree. Nice. And fast too! Everyone will want to know what you've got in your hands as the nuts just keep falling off. You'll draw a crowd! - 18 Volt - Bare-tool - I Own It - Impact Wrenches'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information