Wednesday 28 July 2010

Highly Recommended - highly recommended, battery testers


One of the problems with most (less-expensive) battery testers is that they only check for voltage remaining in a battery. Even an 80% used battery can show nearly full rated voltage, and it is only when a load is placed on the battery that a true assessment is possible. Our college AV department goes through lots of batteries for DVD remotes, wireless mics, etc., and the other cheaper testers were not providing accurate results. This unit (and its big brother model) use an electronic circuit to test the battery for approximately two seconds under an electrical load. While doing this, the LED's light back and forth, and then the tested capacity is displayed. I highly recommend this unit for consumers and professionals alike. it is easy to use and very accurate. If you use a lot of button cell batteries, or lithium batteries (either AA or specialized camera/camcorder lithium ion batteries), you should probably purchase the larger ZTS MBT-1. The MBT-1 costs over twice as much and is larger in size, but consider that model for most versatility. Mini Multi-Battery Tester

I like the concept behind this tester, and it performs reasonably well; however, I have encountered two problems that made me give it only three stars. First, I agree with the one reviewer who suggested testing a battery more than once. I have found that to be confident of a reading, you need to test at least three times, because its readings are not always consistent. I have had it give me a zero reading on the first try and 100% readings on the second and third tries. Second, I have no confidence whatsoever in its readings on C123 batteries. I tested three batteries which came out of three separate cameras and got zero readings on all three. Since the batteries were still functioning well in the three cameras, I became suspicious. I have an old Radio Shack analog tester which does not have a specific setting for 3V batteries, so I set the tester for 1.5V. Each battery made the needle fly to the farthest point on the scale, so I figured there had to be more than zero juice in the batteries. When I put the batteries back in their respective cameras, each of the cameras' battery strength indicators showed a full reading for the batteries. Consequently, I do not have any confidence at all for the tester's 123 readings. It has worked well when testing AA alkalines and NIMH batteries (again, as long as I test three times). Although I like the tester, I would hesitate to recommend it because of the problems I have encountered.

This battery tester has already paid for itself. If a toy (or electronic gadget) is running slow, I remove and test all the batteries. Each time I found that some of the batteries still had 80% life in them, while others were dead. Before I had this tester, I would replace all the batteries. Now I can replace only the dead ones. It is great!

While more expensive than many battery tester, this unit appears to be more accurate. It is easy to use, well made, and tests a wide variety of batteries. I especially like the separate terminal for NiMH rechargeable batteries as I use these frequently and don't always remember when I last charged them.

I work in a theatre where we go through a ton of AA and 9V batteries in our wireless microphones and wireless clearcom beltpacks. At the start of each show, all of them have to have fresh batteries even though the old ones might not be completely dead. It's nice to be able to check the life of the used ones so that they can be used for rehearsals or in other devices. It's a great way to save money and prevent waste! Great product!

I had a little battery tester for many years that just gave up finally. It was simpler, and had a spring-loaded slot which tested all cylindrical batteries. And it had an easy two-spot tester for 9-volt batteries. It was all self-contained, nothing to break off, etc. This device requires that you use an attached probe at one end of the battery while pressing the other end against a designated sensor. It's not exactly difficult, but more difficult than it probably needs to be. This is more along the lines of a simplified version of a "multi-tester" that an electrician might use, except that it has only one probe, not two. Still, having a probe on an attached line is another thing that can break off or fray. I'm happy with it, but I think it could be engineered to produce the same (or equivalent) results in a more consumer-friendly way. I thought about a 3, but it does its job very well, and my quarrels are with design, so I went with a 4.

I bought this battery tester about a month ago and have used it countless times. When a toy doesn't work, I'm not sure if it is the toy or if the battery is dead. The battery tester gave me an accurate reading of how much life was left in the battery. I couldn't recommend this product more!

I'm constantly amazed at the frailness of rechargeable batteries. The manufacturers claim an almost infinite life for these expensive little pieces of "green" technology but as a newspaper photographer, I keep finding them failing at the most awkward moments. The Mini Multi-Battery Tester finds those batteries that just aren't up to the task before failing at some critical time. Huzzah for the ZTS Mini Multi-Battery Tester! - Highly Recommended - Battery - Chargers - Battery Testers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information