Friday 30 July 2010

Heavy Duty Hose Reel - garden hose, garden tools


I had purchased the more expensive Rapid Reel wall mount (Model 1041-GH) last year, and was disappointed to find that these were on backorder... so instead decided to save about $50 and try this one from Liberty, which has an attractive/decorative design.

Setup of the Liberty product was minimal, compared to Rapid Reel model... however, engineering of the Liberty product is not as good as the almost aircraft-quality Rapid Reel. The brass swivel on the Liberty model does not stay put... in other words, it spins around with the movement of the reel itself, causing the leader hose to turn into loops if you don't put a hand on it... and, unlike the Rapid Reel model, there doesn't seem to be any adjustment (and nothing mentioned in the short instruction booklet).

My home has normal pressure at the spigot, however, within one use, the very cheap leader hose developed a 1" split (not due to the leader hose spinning, as mentioned above), which was very disappointing, given the quality claims. (If it's any consolation, the same thing happened with the Rapid Reel leader hose, even though Rapid Reels did seem a higher quality. Rapid Reel replaced the leader hose quickly and without any problem. I have just sent a note to Liberty... let's see how quick and hassle-free the replacement goes. I wish both of these companies would supply leader hoses from Gilmour).

The stamped metal of the Liberty product seems like it will hold up, however, the welds seem rather cheaply done (manufactured in China, to save costs, I suppose... but if that is the reason, I don't see why this item costs $80).

Another feature of the Rapid Reel, which doesn't seem possible with the Liberty product, is that the hose can be left on the reel and removed together as one from the mount for winter storage.

I'm 95% certain that I will return this item for a refund and purchase another Rapid Reel when they become available, as the Rapid Reel product is of much higher quality (even though it costs a bit more... you get what you pay for), and Rapid Reel is manufactured right here in the USA (keep the jobs here). Liberty Garden Products Decorative Non-Rust Cast Aluminum Wall Mounted Garden Hose Reel With 125-Foot Capacity - Antique Finish 704

I have it for 6 months, It worked great all summer, Sturdy, great looking. Mounting holes are spaced 16", Easy install on studs behind the wall. I have a Rapid Reel too, The Liberty worked better and price is lower.

Very happy.

I went through two of the plastic hide away hose storage units, and when the second one broke (just like the first one did), I decided to get something more sturdy. I also wanted something that looked nice. This reel is solid metal and mounted to the back of my brick house, it freed up space on the patio and makes the back of the house look less cluttered. The wheel turns very easy and I find it MUCH easier to roll/unroll my hose than the plastic ones, which is partly to do with the fact that I don't have to bend down to reel it, and it doesn't move around like the ones that sit on the ground. I have a 100ft. hose, and it fits fine, as long as you guide the hose as it winds so that it rolls up efficiently. Even with guiding it, I still find it easier than the other ones. I also like that it has a decorative shelf, where I can keep extra nozzles, etc.

After using the plastic hose reels from the big box stores for years, this reel is attractive, sturdy, and works easily without any drips or leaks for just a few dollars more. The only negative is that you need to supply your own mounting hardware and since the mounting holes are big, it was hard to find stainless screws large enough to fit the mounting holes.

I was sick of the plastic reels I had purchased at Home Depot. They didn't wind easily, they didn't hold large hoses, they bounced around when I would wind up the hose, they looked cheap. This reel is the opposite of all that; the hose winds very easy, I have my longest hose on it, it is secure in the wall, and it looks great. Easy to assemble, easy to mount to the outside wall. The addition of the tray is just smart thinking - I love this reel. But, as you already know, its a bit pricey - however you are getting what you pay for. I recommend and intend to buy another for the front of my house.

This is a very nice reel. I mounted it the side of my house on hardiplank andit looks great. Rotates smoothly. Only items to note are : 1) it does not come with any mounting hardware. 2) i dont see any way you could put 125ft of hose on this unless its very small diameter. I have a standard 50ft hose on it and it fits very comfortably but i wouldnt put over 75 on it. - Garden Hose - Garden Tools - Heavy Duty Hose Reel - Garden Hose Reel'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information