Saturday 4 June 2011

Blackberry Car Charger - car charger, iphone car charger


These chargers do not short the D+/D- signal lines to tell the device being powered that they are chargers rather than data connections, so a modern device like an iPhone or Android phone will not take the full available current from the device. So they are limited to 500mA rather than 900mA so they power but will not simultaneously charge a modern smart phone.



From the Wikipedia page for USB: "The Dedicated Charging Port shorts the D+ and D- pins with a resistance of at most 200 '. The short disables data transfer, but allows devices to detect the Dedicated Charging Port and allows very simple, high current chargers to be manufactured."



When I power a Samsung Galaxy S phone with this it sees it as a data port and offers to connect as a mass storage or media device, as expected for an incorrectly wired charger. Kensington K39242US USB Car Charger for All USB-Powered Device (Black)

Mine looks a bit different than in the photo here. (I uploaded mine so you can see.) It's not flat black; it's glossy. There is a thin top 'cap' as opposed to appearing seamless as in the photo. These are fairly minor differences, although I had hoped it would be flat black. It seems to work ok- it plugs in fine ('96 Ford Mustang) and my iPod indicates that it's charging. Since the lighter port I have it plugged into is always on regardless of the ignition, the orange LED is always on. This shouldn't be much of a drain on the battery; probably about as much as my alarm's LED.

This USB charger works well, has a small orange light to let you know its plugged in. I was hoping for this to be flush with my car dash, but it sticks out half an inch or so. This is as small as cigarette lighter adapters come, so I can't complain.

I purchased the Kensington USB Car Charger for my Blackberry Bold 9700. I couldn't utilize the OEM Car Charger as the charger was very big (bulky) and the cord was too short to extend to my BlackBerry holder attached to my windshield.



With the Kensington Car Charger I am utilizing the OEM supplied USB cable to plug into the car charger and its works perfect... Charging time is very fast, in my opinion faster than the OEM Car Charger. I like the power light feature on the Kensington USB Charger, this light displays if the charger is powered and ready to charge. The only issue I have with this charger is that the power light is very dim and is hard to see when lite. I would recommend Kensington change the colour of the light to a brighter colour i.e. lime green instead of the current dull orange colour. The Kensington Car Charge is tiny and when I unplug the USB cable I can close my storage compartment in my car to hide the charger. The charger seems very well made and it doesn't have that "cheap feel" to it.

Good snug fit in 12v outlet with very short protrusion. USB cable connector holds securely. Indicator light is very dim, almost invisible even at night - but the charging indicator on your device is really what matters anyway, isn't it? Good value for the price.

Bought 2 of these to use for my boat & cars to power a wifi router & charge stuff that needs USB power.

(my cars are Toyotas, fits nicely).

I do wish it came with a good (tested at 1 amp) quality cable & adapter ends: e.g. mini/micro USB, coaxial power jack. That would have earned the extra star.

I suspect that some customers who had problems got hold of defective or cheap USB cables. I just received a couple of crappy USB to coaxial power cables that had high wiring resistance. This droops the voltage going to a connected device & may damage it, so make sure you have good cables (a cable that comes with a device (e.g. cellphone) is usually a good choice).

For-what-it's-worth dept:

Don't damage an expensive cellphone because of a cheap-ass cable & unplug your portable devices before starting or stopping your car (electrical "spiking").

I'm sure this works as advertised for many devices, but it would not charge my MyTouch 4G phone. Another more expensive charger that I found works fine, so it wasn't an issue with the cable, or my car. - Iphone Car Charger - Usb Charger - Car Chargers - Car Charger'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information