Tuesday 7 June 2011

Cpo Bostitch - brad nailers, air tools


I ordered this product for a weekend home improvement exterior trim project and it was a great time saver. I got both this item and the 16 Ga nail gun at the same time. This one has the better design for loading the nails, although the other nail gun's nail size is better for sturdier exterior fastening. This 18 Ga gun is probably best for interior trim work. A window in the cassette to help see the size nails or when you are close to running out (prior to climbing to the top of a ladder...) would be a handy addition to this product. This nail gun is very lightweight, the belt clip is good, and it did not jamb once. Highly recommend this to anyone. Bostitch BT1855K 18-Gauge Brad Nailer

This is a excellent brad nailer, enough people have said nice things about it, I'm really writing to make one warning:



I'm actually on my second unit, the first was destroyed by one of my guys who apparently didn't clear a jam properly. I've only ever had it jam one time in my own hand after maybe 6-7K shots, and it only jammed because of a screw behind the molding. But when this thing jams, wow is it a hell of a jam.



If the jam occurs with a brad partially through the nose and the hammer did not retract - DO NOT pull the jammed brad out with a pair of pliers. Because the hammer itself is semi-exposed, yanking on the jammed screw will likely tweak it and it takes an EXTREME amount of force to pull it out (the one time it happened to me the nail was curled up inside and outside). This is what it looks like one of my guys did as evidenced by the gouging in the metal portion of the magazine, unfortunately whatever he did managed to destroy the internals of the driver portion as well.



Instead take the included hex key out of the included pencil sharpener/belt hook and disassemble the head. After I cleared the jam the hammer did not automatically retract like on other nailers I've used. Hesitantly I put everything back together, connected the hose and dry fired it and the hammer resumed normal operation (warning I do not know for sure if this is the "correct" way to return the hammer to it's normal operating position).



Seriously though this unit practically never jams, especially compared to some other brad nailers I've used, it's a great unit and I highly recommend it. On the odd chance it does jam, show it some love and don't just start yanking at it.

I have only owned Porter Cable nail guns in the past, but with all the features the next generation of nailers offers, I had to try the 1855K. Finally, a brad nailer that will shoot 2" nails! Very convenient, and nice to leave only a tiny hole on your finish carpentry work.

Other great features include rear muffled exhaust, oil free operation to prevent staining fine finish work, swivel air hose fitting, belt hook with pencil sharpener(sounds hoakey, but actually quite useful), light weight magnesium body, easy side-load nail clip, any dry-fire feature won't let you fire unless brads are in gun, low-nail indicater, opening in magazine to see length of fasteners being used. Great product that will not dissapoint.

Don't buy the air compressor kit with three guns - they are not the same models. Guns appear much cheaper and magazine is not nearly as easy to open to load nails. The kit guns are cheap junk. The 1855k is a quaility tool. Price is great.

I recently picked up this brad nailer to use with the Jac Pac CO2 regulator. The sales guy selling me the Jac Pac tried to sell me a $310 brad nailer because "most other brad nailers will leak too much air" causing the CO2 cartridge to run out of air. I had no intention of spending that much money on it, so I went to Lowe's and bought this nailer for $99. I cannot sense any air leakage and I was able to drive 1 5/8 brad nails into very hard hardwood (2100 Janka hardness) with the proper countersink and less that 80 psi on the CO2 regulator. The countersink is easily adjustable so you can determine how far in you want the nail to go.



Although I haven't used it much, I am so far very satisfied. If I run into problems later, I will certainly come back to update my post.

I puchased 2 of these guns, and 4 months later both started acting up. Will not fire at all, with no visible signs of O-ring wear, etc.. Now at 5 months later both guns are completely dead. I am returning these and will never be purchasing bostitch again. Their customer service offered to tear it apart to look at it, which leaves me down 2 brad nailers for over a week. NOT HAPPY, BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

I purchased this gun only because a partner purchased the wrong nails for my other Bostitch gun , so rather than throw out the nails you had a awesome deal on a gun. You have a new customer, Thank you for the price I paid awesome gun.

I bought one and it only lasted 2 or 3 uses. After that it jammed the nail in the interior passageway, requiring a disassembly to get out. I am going to return it and get a Hitachi or Paslode or something. I consider "my" experience poor. I do like the oil-less feature.

Bostitch has really gone down the tubes. This gun consistently won't fire. I thought it was freezing up but it happens in all weather. Press the trigger and hear a hiss of air. I also think the foot is terrible and the belt hook, which must be removed to put it back in the case, is inconvenient. - Air Tools - Bostich - Brad Nailers - Bostitch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information