Saturday 11 June 2011

Alkaline Batteries


These batteries are a very good choice for an inexpensive alkaline. Heavy duty batteries, are not cost effective because although cheaper, they have a very short run time. To get the best bang for your buck, go for alkalines like these.



The "Procell" designation is basically Duracell's way of marking these batteries as ones intended for industrial applications. They make them as a separate line so they won't directly compete with their consumer lines.



My experience is that these batteries do not last quite as long as the top consumer lines from Duracell and Energizer. However, they are within 10-20% (depending on the application), and are considerably cheaper. So, they are much more cost effective.



Unless you are using them in an application where it is difficult to change the batteries, I recommend going with these instead of spending more. Duracell Procell AA Batteries, 24-Count

I ordered several boxes of AA and AAA size Duracell Procells because I wanted to replace batteries in many different devices less often. Some are indoor, some are outdoor, all various consumer devices, slow drain and high drain. After going though at least half of them now--at least a couple of dozen since December '09, I can say for sure that they last far less than half the time of any other good quality battery. Copper-top Duracells, Energizer Max, Rayovac Alkaline, etc. all have lasted much longer (in the same devices) in my experience. The Procells I have have a 2016 expiration date, so 'old batteries' isn't the problem. I think these batteries are for professionals/companies who have lots of equipment and have to change batteries often anyway and can't keep track of all of it closely, so that they don't notice how quickly these batteries expire. Anyone that pays attention to run-life and overall cost of replacing batteries wouldn't keep buying these.

These procell batteries are exactly the same technical specs as the regular coppertops. The only difference is packaging and price. I, for one, am more than happy to forego the plastic packaging that requires a knife and band-aids to open. This package contains 6x4 small boxes of batteries. That is, six boxes of four batteries each.

It's unclear as to why these are "Professional" batteries. They appear to be comparable in energy storage to standard Duracell alkaline batteries, which are dependable and functional long-lasting energy sources. In any case, the packaging makes this a worthwhile choice as there are no sharp plastic containers that you'll find impossible to open. There's a simple cardboard box holding 6 smaller cardboard boxes, each of which contains 4 batteries. This makes it simple to grab a box of 4 to carry with you as a backup supply for such things as cameras and related equipment. I also find these to be useful for AA-powered wall clocks as it reduces the frequency with which I have to change batteries. Overall, a fine product.

I've noticed several reviews stating that the Procell is inferior to the Coppertop. Didn't seem to make sense. I went to the Duracell website and pulled the spec sheets for the PC1500 and the MN1500 which are the Procell and Coppertop versions and found that the specifications and all performance charts (six of them) are...



(Wait for it)



IDENTICAL!



I love that line in My Cousin Vinny.



You can find the Duracell spec sheets here and draw your own conclusions:

[...]



So I choose to save money. If I find in practice that they are inferior, I will update this review and trash talk the Procell.

I went on the Internet to see what is so different about Duracell Procell batteries. First I learned that they are high energy density with an excellent rate capability. The operating range goes from -4 degrees F to 140 degrees F with great low temperature performance (think skiing or winter activities) and the shelf life is good up to ten years. The batteries come in eight (8) sets of four (4) batteries each for convenience.



How is it compared to Duracell Coppertop Alkaline batteries? They are identical - only the packaging is different. In essence, this package of twenty-four (24) batteries at this price is a steal. I use batteries mostly for my SCUBA strobe and Video light and four batteries will last a full day of shooting (2 hours plus of video and countless strobe shots). When depleted, I just dispose of them properly. Please don't just toss these in the trash. They can be recycled.

The date on these batteries says 2012 but some were nearly dead right out of the box. Out of the 6 boxes of 4, I'd say some worked well (standard alkaline) and others died very quickly. I will not be buying these again. Amazon has other bargain alkalines for sale and I will give those a try.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Alkaline Batteries Alkaline Batteries Alkaline Batteries