Wednesday 15 June 2011

Dvd Recording - dual layer, dvd


Quick Summary: Burns at 2.4x or 4x on Plextor 716A burner; Verbatim DVD+R DL burned with the Plextor 716A is PLAYABLE in EVERY DVD Player (at least 20 and counting) I have tried!!! Awesome.







Full article:



I recently used the Verbatim DVD+R DL media to back up a couple of my most popular DVD's. The original was 8.1GB in size and contained about 50 music videos. I couldn't get it to squeeze down to fit on a single layer disc. Verbatim DVD+R DL to the rescue!







Using my new Plextor PX-716A burner (an excellent DVD Burner!), I used the included PlexTools program to make a copy of my DVD. Note, the original DVD is not protected in any way.







I burned the DVD+R DL at 4x speed (approx. 28 min. to burn). There is a selection in the Plextor's software to "overwrite" the book type of the DVD+R DL so that it looks like a pressed dual-layer DVD to settop DVD players (to avoid a confusing older DVD players). I used this setting (it is by default) to burn the DVD.







When it comes to DVD burning, there is no better test than the compatiblilty and quality test of the burned disc. The test is simple, put the burned DVD in as many players as you can and see how many can and cannot read it. Well, I have to say that I have tested this DVD+R DL in over 20 DVD players so far, and ALL have played it with NO COMPATIBILITY issues whatsoever. This finding is as good as or better than all DVD+R and DVD-R (single layer) I have ever used.







After having read all the reviews on the web about how incompatible burned DVD+R DL discs are, I have to say, the Plextor 716A and Verbatim DVD+R DL combination blows everything else away.







Yes, the discs are kinda expensive, but if you have valuable or irreplaceable DVDs to back up, they will work for you. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.



Just a couple quick notes:

1. To ensure compatibility among all DVD-Players, be sure you set your recording software to finalize all DVD+/-R's with the DVD-Rom booktype. If you do not, older DVD players may have trouble recognizing the DVD's. The Plextor drives have a setting (via Plextools) that will allow you to force them to always finalize with the DVD-Rom booktype!



2. I have burned about 200 of these Verbatim DVD+R DL discs successfully and have used no other brand. I refuse to even try another brand. There have been only 2 out of all of them I had problems with. First one I put an adhesive label on, and the label warped the DVD. When I tried to "flatten" it, the DVD cracked center-to-edge and I had to toss it. Second disc had a few read errors on it near the layer switch. The bonding on that disc appeared to be a bit weak near the center, as some of the dye was inconsistent there. Go figure as to why the problem was at the layer break at the outer edge of the DVD. Verbatim 95014 8.5 GB 2.4x-6x Double Layer Recordable Disc DVD+R DL, 3-Disc Jewel Cases

I am burning these discs on a Lite-On LH-20A1S and a Sony DRU-810A, and they work flawlessly. Maybe it's the fact that they are on Sony's compatible list for the drive or that they are quality discs, I don't know. But what I do know is that the picture quality that I got from my copy was PERFECT. NO PIXELATION, NO DROPPED FRAMES, and NO PAUSES. A perfect burn.



I ran the Verbatim discs through DVDInfo Pro and it came back with write speeds of 2.4, 4.0, and 8.0 (see picture.) The box mine came in says "up to 6x speed," so you MIGHT be able to push it to 8x with a high speed drive.



For everyday, general consumer use you should find that these discs will give you a high quality, dependable burn. Some may ask if they are archival quality, and I have to say that my guess is 'no.' Unless the disc specifically says "archival quality" then I would assume that they are standard discs (which have been found to deteriorate over time.



I highly recommend these discs for your approved DVD+R DL burner. (Remember to check the media compatibility of your drive BEFORE you purchase these discs or any other disc! See your drive manufacturer's website for details.)

Verbatim DL used to be by far the best DL media available. Reliable, stable in storage, and consistent high quality made by Mitsubishi in their Singapore plant, one of the highest quality DVD production plants in the world.



Not any more. Verbatim has outsourced a large part of their DL production to a plant in India, and now when you buy this media you have a high chance of getting made in India - this product is poor, often with obvious physical defects in the media like bubbles, holes and foil delaminates.



It is possible to still find made in Singapore cakeboxes on store shelves, but if you can't actually read the disk label before buying you are rolling the dice when you buy.



It is a real shame Verbatim does not offer the Singapore product as a diferent grade. It would be worth a few extra bucks to get a cakebox that had a 95% success rate vs. the 50% rate the made in India product gives.



Verbatim has really gotten a black eye in my book with this stunt. - Cheap - Dual Layer - Dual Layer Dvd - Dvd'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information