Friday 17 June 2011

Iphone Dash Mount - car mount, iphone mount


This product works exactly as advertised. In fact, based on what I had read in the other reviews I would actually say that it works better than advertised. The suction cup works so well that the only thing I can figure is that the person that had problems with it did not understand how it worked. It is not the standard type of suction cup where you simply press it against the windshield and hope it holds. This suction cup works by placing it against the windshield and then turning the knob counterclockwise in order to pull the center portion away from the windshield. As it does this it creates a vacuum seal that so tight that you are more likely to dislodge the windshield than you are to remove this device from it.



The iPhone fits perfectly into the holder and the aux cable is nice and thin. I actually used the phone in this setup when I wanted to have a conference call and the other person's voice coming out of the car stereo worked great for that purpose.



The only caveat I would list is that if your car has a long sloping windshield you may find the extension not quite long enough to bring the phone within reach. You may be able to compensate for this by mounting it up higher. I drive a Jeep Wrangler and it has a pretty vertical windshield so I don't have this problem. Griffin WindowSeat Windshield car mount for iPhone 3G with iPod touch 1G Adapter and Auxiliary Audio Cable

When I first read a review of this product online, I was quite impressed...finally, an iPod mount that would work. When I received it and put it together, I was disappointed.



Allow me to elaborate...Griffin has a good idea here; instead of a goose-neck, it uses a ball-and-socket joint-type system of arms to position your iPod touch/iPhone. The problem here is that you have a limited amount of positions to put your iPod in.



Second, the suction cup is not as strong as it needs to be; it's a good idea on paper (instead of a snap-down toggle like most mounts, it's a screw-down type that should hold the suction cup more securely to the windshield), but the suction cup is very difficult to get to stick to the windshield, and you have to really press hard against it while screwing it down, and even then it would detach from my windshield at the worst possible moment (driving down the Garden State Parkway at 70 miles an hour).



Third, it will not work with iPods/iPhones in cases...I don't want to have to remove my iTouch from its case every time I want to take it on the road.



Griffin has a decent product here that just has a few problems that prevent it from being a great one. If they address the suction-cup issue, and make a mount that allows for holding an iPod in a case, this would be a much better product.

It took me several weeks to figure out how to make it stay stuck to the windshield, but it's my own fault for not reading the manual. I mean, it's a suction cup, right? Except you need to adjust the ring on the suction part to cause it to suck to the window. Who knew?



Apart from that, it's a very nice mount for my 1st generation iPod touch. With the extension arm, it keeps the iPod within reach in my 2001 Honda Civic so I'm not fumbling for it when I need it.



I'm not sure how it would work with a FM transmitter attached as I'm using a cassette adapter, but I do know I have to take it out of its case to work with it, which has been a bummer. The mount does hold the iPod pretty securely, almost too securely because it's a bit difficult to get it out without taking the mount off the window. That may change over time as the device breaks in.

Suction cup mounted to our windows just fine (didn't even need to crank it very tight either). Didn't try the sticky pad since I don't want or need that type of fixture. Comes with adapters for iPod Touch, original iPhone and the new iPhone 3G. Cord was sufficiently long to reach our aux input. Wish it had a combo power and audio out cord to make things a bit tidier. Easy enough for my wife to pop the phone in and out of the holder, she's very happy with this adapter.

I bought this to replace a universal model mounted to my air vent. It came with a slim manual (normal these days... at least it was included in print). Really liked that it had an extension piece for the arm and all the parts connected by nice strong ball joints that let me position the iPhone 3GS exactly where I want it and in portrait or landscape mode.



I used the suction cup mount to attach to the windshield with NO PROBLEMS what-so-ever. Didn't have to press hard when dialing down the suction cup and its never came off while driving. Its used in a Ford Escape. The problems others are having could be due to different curvatures in windshields possibly or maybe bad example shipped. Its also possible their windshields aren't clean which could also be an issue. It does come with a sticky padded disc mount should you prefer to mount to a dash instead too.



The cradle for the iPhone holds it nicely. It almost snaps in place and pops out to assure its secure position. Sure it doesn't allow a case to be used but could you imagine making the cradle adapt to so many different cases? Or it would have to rely on a universally adjustable arms to hold it like my previous mount. That's more messing around when putting in and pulliing it out of the cradle and I prefer the quick pop in and out method. It also frees up the top and bottom for power charger connection and headphone jack access. Actually, you can access all the controls easily.



What would make this better? Maybe add a sync connector that employs power and audio out signals that can be hard wired through back of dash. Add a nice slim hardshelled case that comes with adapter that works with case for arm sold seperately (More money Griffin! Wake up your marketing team!). Overall I highly recommend. Great product at a good price. - Iphone Mount - Car Mount - Ipod Car Mount - Iphone'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information