Tuesday 7 June 2011

Mini Displayport - displayport, apple


Apple's current version of this adapter is for DVI-D cables only (no pin holes around the bar), and therefore won't work with DVI-I cables (4 pin holes around the bar), which other than Apple displays, are the vast majority of cables out there. This 3rd party solution works perfectly for me to be able to connect to presentation systems that use the DVI-I interface, and also works with the other DVI formatted cables I have tried, including DVI-D. It therefore does everything the apple products does, allows more cable compatibility, and is significantly less expensive. Mini DisplayPort to DVI-I Female Adapter for Mac

I have a Dell 2407WFP 24" monitor. This adapter worked fine for using the monitor as a display, but I had a severe problem with interference with my wireless Internet while using the adapter (I'm connecting a MacBook Pro). Just pinging my router, packets started being dropped when I connected the monitor using the adapter, and all problems were fixed as soon as I disconnected the monitor. I just bought the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter MB570Z/A, and now wireless Internet works fine with the monitor connected. I've had good luck with non-Apple connectors / cables before (e.g., the 6ft Toslink to Mini Toslink Cable), but in this case, I'd stick with the Apple adapter, or at the least some other adapter that doesn't have this interference problem.

I was a little apprehensive as this adapter was for the new 27" imac ... Thought there might have been a compatibility issue...



My original mini-dvi to dvi adapter from my previous imac was not compatible ... I almost purchased one from apple again ... but this time i decided to give another adapter a try seeing it's only a 3rd of the price of Apple's version



I'm so glad i did ... IM sitting right now looking at my 27" dwarfing my 20 in cinema display ...



The adapter just plugged in and on the monitor went ... i didn't have to do anything ...



it's the same quality as apple's version ... but has more of a flat textured finish and is very light grey (really didn't care as no one's going to see it) ... the packaging was similar to apples and had a higher retail than what it sells for here on amazon.



The best part is .. i thought because my 27" imac is running such a high resolution "2460 x1440" vs Cinema 20" @ "1680 x 1050" there was going to be a scaling effect ( one image or browser larger on the smaller screen ) which to my surprise was a nonissue



they are seamlessly running together ... took about a min to adjust the height in display settings so the images lined up between screens.



simple purchase and you can but three different Minidisplay port adapters (dvi-hdmi-vga) for your Mac vs one from apple.



G/L

I thought I'd save by not getting the Apple $29 adapter; instead of saving approximately twenty bucks, I lost the price of this item. It didn't seem worth sending it back and go though all the hassle. Many people have stated that this worked for them, so I probably just got a bad unit. This was to connect a latest generation (as of March 2010) MacBook Pro 13" to an Apple 20" aluminum frame cinema display. Screen just briefly flickered when the display was connected, but nothing thereafter. It's inexpensive enough if you like to gamble, but if it absolutely, positively has to work the first time, spend the money and get Apple's adapter.

I bought this because after getting a new Mac Book, I could not get an analog signal to work with my MB in clamshell mode (see apple forums and a quite extensive 'LG, and other brands external monitor problem'). And also quite frankly, I'm unwilling to give Apple >$30 for something that should cost $7. I used this in conjunction with a DVI cable from the same folks and my external monitor has worked great ever since! Don't be afraid to use 3rd party components for your macs... even if you get a dud, and have to buy another, you are still 100% money ahead vs. Apple brand... Will definitely look to this company in the future for my A/V needs, especially to avoid the 'Apple Tax'.

If you're looking for a way to connect your Macbook or Macbook pro to an LCD TV (through it's DVI connection) or external monitor , this is the solution.



Unlike Apple's adapter which is only DVI-D cable compatible and costs $28, this adapter is DVI-D and DVI-I cable compatible, costs only $9 and works just as well as the "official" Apple adapter.



I bought it and used it to connect my Macbook to an external monitor and it's working perfectly. No graphical glitches or issues. There's no point buying the "official" apple version - it's less capable and more expensive. For how much that costs, you can buy 3 different versions of these MiniDisplay Port adapters (MiniDisplay port to HDMI, MDP to VGA and MDP to DVI)



As someone once said, money saved is money earned. Save your money and purchase this instead. - Macbook Pro - Displayport - Dvi - Apple'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • apple
  • ,
  • macbook pro
  • ,
  • displayport
  • ,
  • dvi