Monday 6 June 2011

Rechargeable Batteries - lumix, dmw-bcg10pp


4/9/10 (re-write)- So after buying this battery from Vortex Cable and having to return it because it did not work with my new DMC-ZS7 (as several other ZS7 owners have recently had to do), I ordered one from Good-As-New Electronics (after they assured me they carry only Panasonic batteries). Works like a charm! They are the real deal from Panasonic. No more "this battery cannot be used" messages on your screen!!!



Maybe the following info will help. This is the reply I received from Good-As-New on 4/2/10 when I inquired about the authenticity of the battery they supply.



"...we received our latest shipment from Panasonic, so I would assume they are the latest version available."



When I asked if they always buy directly from Panasonic, their reply was:



"Always. Everything we sell comes directly from its respective manufacturer

- no exceptions. To the best of my understanding, there aren't any alternate versions of this

model" [referring to my question about 'version problems' mentioned by Vortex]. "There are however a vast supply of imitations / 'knock-off' brands. Perhaps the version matters on one of those units? After a bit more research, I am comfortable in saying that the DMW-BCG10 we are selling will be compatible with the new DMC-ZS7, to the point where I believe that even if you had one of these batteries from a year ago, it would still work just fine in the new camera. As I told you before, we did just get our new supply of these batteries in last week, so these will most certainly work just fine."



And it does!!! So just to be safe, I would buy from Good-As-New. There could be others who sell the 'real' Panasonic battery, but it was way too much work just trying to find this one!



Perhaps it would be a good idea if reviewers would mention the seller's name in their reviews, making it easier to tell who's selling the real Panasonic batteries and who's not. Quite a few reviewers said this battery works with their ZS3, but the ZS3 is not the ZS7 (apparently Panasonic has snuck in a little security feature recently that rejects fake batteries!). And if the battery I buy doesn't work with the ZS7, then it's not a real Panasonic (the 'real' Panasonic battery works with both models). Frankly, I don't care if Vortex's 'version' issues are resolved with their undisclosed 'vendor' (obviously NOT Panasonic). I want what was advertised on Amazon and what I paid for - a REAL Panasonic battery. The fact that Amazon isn't screening their sellers better and therefore causing all this confusion among potential buyers is appauling! Well I hope this clears it up. Thank you, Good-As-New Electronics, for staying honest! Panasonic DMW-BCG10 ID Secured Battery for Select Panasonic Cameras

Panasonic screwed its Lumix ZS3 customers by creating a firmware fix that doesn't allow the use of any battery except this one in the Lumix ZS3. And this camera eats batteries!

Then, Panasonic didn't make enough of these "official" batteries to meet the demand - resulting in a restricted supply and high prices.

On November 15th, 2009 I ordered a Lumix ZS3 from Amazon along with this battery, in order to have an extra one on hand.

I received a notice from Amazon that nothing would be delivered until Jan 15th, 2010 because the battery was out of stock.

Great!

So, I had to call Amazon and cancel the battery order or I wouldn't even get the camera for two months. Then, in order to have a spare battery, I had to order from another source and pay a higher price as well as shipping.

Awful battery with very short battery life before it needs recharging. Unfortunately because the Lumix ZS3 is unable to take generic batteries there is little you can do but purchase an expensive Panasonic spare battery (or 2), plus a car charger. This is still not helpful when you are out in the outback of Australia away from electricity supply and not using your car. It meant missing out on a number of never to be replaced photos. The added difficulty for me was getting a spare battery in the first place as there were no stockists of this battery in Darwin Australia. It meant I had to order a battery from Amazon. Unfortunately this did not arrive in time for my trip through the centre of Australia to Adelaide,hence the missed photo opportunities. (This was not fault of Amazon - the order time was just too short - it arrived days after my departure) The camera itself is terrific however, I would not have purchased this camera if I had the prior knowledge about the crummy battery. (My sons camera using ordinary Lithium batteries lasted for days and days rather that the two odd hours this battery lasts between charges) - Dmw-bcg10 - Panasonic - Lumix - Dmw-bcg10pp'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information