Tuesday 21 June 2011

Sangean Portable Radio - digital, sangean radio


I recently read analysis of the Sangean PR-D5 vs. the Sangean PR-D7 radios. The reviews missed the point: These two Sangean radios target different market niches and needs. The PR-D5 is essentially a table radio while the PR-D7 targets folks that need a radio for domestic travel. I'm sure the engineers at Sangean see it this way. Why not buy both radios?



The Sangean PR-D7 has a clean crisp sound with very low noise floor on AM and FM bands, a great improvement over Sangean radios of similar size such as the ATS-505 or the ATS-909. BTW, I've tuned in all the major stations in the greater Phoenix area without a problem including the hard to catch 89.5, a classical station.



I have been very surprised at the overall performance of the PR-D7 radio and listen to this radio on a daily basis. The Sangean PR-D7 ($59) does 90 percent of what the Trivoli Songbook does at 25 percent of the Songbook's $200 price tag.



Still, the PR-D7 could use a multi-voltage AC adapter and a lock switch to be a complete global travel radio (like the Sangean ATS-606). Also, when traveling, cloth pouch would be a really nice touch. And while I'm making my wish list, the PR-D7 in a red or yellow case would be neat and easy to spot in a hotel room so you don't leave it behind.



One of the things I like about this radio are the controls, easy to learn and use, plus you can see the frequency and time on the display.



Update September 2008: I just recently purchased Sanyo's Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries for my PR-D7 giving me greater flexibility when enjoying this wonderful portable radio. I highly recommend Sanyo's Eneloop batteries.



Last week, from my greater Phoenix location, I picked KNX 1070 Los Angeles about 10PM in the evening.



Update October 2009: After owning this radio for 2 years, my little PR-D7 fell off a second story balcony and is now in pieces, so I ordered a second PR-D7 this morning. I suffer from cancer and kidney disease, so I've been in and out of the hospital several times this year, each time, my little Sangean PR-D7 went with me.



One of the neatest features of this PR-D7 is the no hassle recharging of the AA batteries, the radio automatically does this for you!!!



BTW, I ordered this radio from Amazon on a Friday morning and received the radio the next Tuesday morning. How's that for service!!!



Update January 2011: I have since purchased a Sangean PR-D9W radio which is now my go 2 radio. Sangean PR-D7 AM/FM Digital Rechargeable Portable Radio

I was trying to replace my Sony ICF-M410 which is about the same size. I was extremely disappointed I could not find it as they discontinued this model and I was so happy with that radio. In searching for reviews of AM/FM small portable radios, I came upon this one. Not too many reviews (7) but I bought it anyway because I wanted a radio that ran on batteries. I could not be happier with this radio!! Superior in sound and reception to the Sony I had and a BIG PLUS is that you can use rechargable batteries (I have been using the eneloop) and charge them in the radio! Doesn't get any better than that and I LOVE having the option of using the electrical adapter (which comes with it) or use it with the batteries only. There is no weather band or tv band on this like the Sony, but I really mostly use the radio for AM reception and talk radio which is excellent (FM is also). I highly recommend this radio for anyone looking for a truly portable radio with great sound, reception and a compact size. I also love the volume knob and the display which has a lighted clock along with the channel. Oh, I forgot about the sleep timer too that I love. Hope this helps.

I received this as a gift from someone who knew I would use this for the purposes of travel, which I infer would be suitable for this "portable radio".



Pros:

-Decent to good build quality. I knocked it off the windowsill from almost a few feet above the hardwood and its fine--no rattles. Fit and finish is outstanding, but the glossy surface is less desirable in this application. Why not use something textured or rubberized instead?

-Rechargeable feature works fine with my Eneloops. I can play the radio ~ 8 hrs a day for a week before the batteries start to wear down.

-Pretty good sound quality to my untrained ear, and can get loud!





Cons:

-Awkward button design. The power button sticks out more than the others, which means the radio gets turned on and off in your pack. A low profile sliding toggle button mounted topside would work much better. Heck, all the buttons could have gone up there, to make room for a jumbo display. Also, the front mounted buttons make one-handed control of the radio impossible when it isn't standing against a wall.

-Reception isn't as great as the reviews indicated. I get better in my 08 Nissan truck.

-Feature set doesn't justify the price. Where is support for RDS, which is standard in Europe and Latin America (this is a travel radio right)? Some rubber feet would be nice. How about the ability to receive S.A.M.E. weather messages? And the AC adapter isn't even dual-voltage? Whiskey tango foxtrot?



I applaud Sangean for making a nice little unit that gives the Songbook a run for its money, but I still think there is room for improvement in this radio. - Sangean Radio - Sangean Portable Radio - Digital - Am-fm'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information