Sunday 19 June 2011

Tools And Hardware - tools and hardware, rotary tool


*****At present there is only one other review for for this item, a five-star review. If you click to see all of that reviewer's reviews, you'll see he only has two--both Dremel items. This always makes me wonder if the reviewer works for that company.*****



Here is my honest opinion of this Dremel:



I bought this Dremel because it is the only one that works with Dremel's new multisaw attachment. With that attachment, which is sold separately, you can use it like a miniature reciprocating saw (Sawzall). Just pop any "T" or "U" shaped jigsaw blade in, and you're in business. I don't know of another tool that can be used in this way, and for that reason and that reason alone this Dremel is worth owning.



I already own another multiple-speed Dremel, and I thought I'd sell it once I bought this. But I'm keeping both because this new Dremel simply feels cheap and poorly made. It seems like its plastic case is flimsier and it doesn't feel as balanced when it's operating. It certainly isn't ergonomic. Any Dremel user who buys this latest model will instantly notice the drop-off in quality.



On the good side, the multisaw attachment works well and the molded plastic case is designed to hold the Dremel, the multisaw and planer attachments, jigsaw blades, the included circle cutter and flex shaft. The kit also includes two bit sets that lock onto the top of the case, with room for two more on the sides.



There's no way I can tell if this Dremel will last. I've put a pretty good load on the motor, and it hasn't failed. But I think that if I drop it more than a few feet onto a hard surface, it will break. The shaft lock button feels particularly cheap and uncertain. I expect it to break first.



Despite all my concerns I'm keeping this Dremel. But I'll only use it when I need the multisaw or planer attachment. Any other time I'll use my other Dremel (model no. 3956-02).



It's extremely unfortunate that at the same time it has chosen to make the most versatile Dremel yet, the company also decided to cut corners on quality. Dremel doubtlessly wanted to keep the price down on this unit, but in doing so they've produced a multi-function tool that feels like a toy. Dremel 400-3/71 400 Series XPR 2 Amp 5,000 to 35,000 RPM Rotary Tool with Planer, Flex Shaft, and Circle Cutter

Definetly a good value for the price, but the 400 XPR itself is much more cheaply built than previous Dremels.



The review from Woodpecker "usbeetle" above is SO obviously a review by Dremel PR that is reeks of marketing slang. Just look at some of the comments that individual made...



"...affordable addition to the high quality Dremel family..."



This is not an individual's wording.



"Luckily, all your old Dremel attachments still fit..."



Again, marketing thoughts, not an individual reviewer's thoughts. A reviewer would state something similar to: 'still works with all of my old attachments'.



"...the new XPR 400 rotary tool..."



Individuals do not call it an "XPR 400 rotary tool", even though its classified as such. Individuals call it a Dremel or 400, or XPR, etc.



It sounds like this reviewer works for Dremel division, added a couple lines of his own words, sandwhiched between marketing spew. It's a shame Amazon and other places on-line can't do much to stop this self-rating. Also, if you look at this user's other reviews... he has none. So out of the blue, he gives this product 5 stars, some marketing lingo, and absolutely nothing negative about it? Get real.



This is a good tool, but it's not perfect. Its biggest flaw is cheap construction compared to past models and other brands, as well as sub-par cooling.

Hope I'm not the only one to notice this, but compared to the older Dremel that I had used for years, this new model feels a little more flimsy in comparison. The real problem came when I used the XPR for an extended amount of time. After using the stone cutting blade for about half an hour, the unit got too hot to hold with bare hands, and stated emitting a burning smell. I had to let the unit cool off, and left wondering if I made the right purchasing decision...



If it's any indication, the unit comes with a small set of rotary bits. Though the inside of the toolbox holding the bits was made of cheap molded plastic that can be crushed by a finger. Leaves me wondering what other corners were cut to keep the cost down. My confidence on Dremel as a brand had been scarred by this new series.

I have two of these XPR's and use them almost daily. I do a lot of wood working, glass etching, etc.. I have used it for many other projects big and small. This thing has made me money and saved me a lot of money with home repairs and projects.

I highly recommend the 400 XPR.

Get the kits with more attachments (it will save you some $$$) instead of the smaller kits and getting the attachments separate.

As a new home owner acquiring tools with entry level. I liked it so far for its functionality even though I agree that it looks are not that strong but easier to work which I bought it for less than 63. I concern durability which time will decide. So far I used significant time along with tools it performed well.



It rescued me big from couple of ways that my cordless circler saw repeated charging even with 2 batteries left a task at the end of day I finished with 5 feet of cutting with guide cutting kit I bought separately (good deal @ Amazon again for 13 bucks). The planner attachment worked greater than to my expectations & looking forward even more help down the lane.



The main problem so far some times switch does not move to on position & frequently with attachment. - Tools And Hardware - Tools - Rotary Tool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information