Tuesday 21 June 2011

Watch Band Remover


I looked over all the options in the under $25 investment...

It is the most complete. I insisted on a box to keep everything neat

and orderly. Everything fits very tight in the foam, so some items are

tough to get in and out of their crevices. In time they will probably

cooperate better. Yes there are no instructures included; but there is

a beautiful card included in full color which tells where to get online

instructions. If you are a hobbyist I can's see how there is a better deal, especially if you take advantage of the supersaver shipping available

for this. PS: You really need most all of this stuff to do ANY useful work

on a watch band- hammer, pin press, jewelers screwdriver, case lifter knife... You'll be stuck if you don't have all the tools at hand.

I gave it 5 stars because for the money I think the quality is worth it.

Is it craftsman quality? No but it should last for its intended purpose.



10/0/09

If you don't get a card w/ the instructions, the site is [...].

I'm mechanically inclined so I figured out most of the tools I needed to use.

I've already resized several watch bands and replaced a half dozen batteries.

Its true the tools fit really tightly in the foam but I still like it. If I get annoyed I'll open the holes up a bit with a razor. SE 19 PCS Watch Tool Kit

Good:



1) It has tools for:

i) Adjusting your metal watch strap. (which I found VERY useful)

ii) Replacing the pin on your metal or leather watch strap.

iii) Unscrewing the tiny screws that might be securing your watch battery to its movement.



2) It comes in a case and that's VERY useful in keeping all the tiny parts together.



3) It comes with a whole set of watch strap pins...which I found very useful.



4) The little loupe is very good, surprisingly good magnification.



Cons:



1) For adjusting your metal bracelet it has a blue plastic tool. This tool has metal pin. This metal pin works great for most brands like Citizen etc...but I found them not long enough for Tag and Omega.



2) It comes with a rudimentary two prong case wrench and that is pretty useless. Invest in a Jaxa type three prong wrench which is also sold on Amazon if you have many of those types of cases.



3) The case and liner could have been better.



4) The little knife thing used to pry open watch cases is pretty wimpy, its already bent from one use.

I like this kit for the price. It has all the tools that I need and now I won't have to keep breaking other tools that aren't meant for watches. I already used the link remover and it was EASY. There's enough lugs to last a lifetime and the case is a nice touch to keep it organized. Looks like everyone will be getting watches for presents this year!

The kit is nicely packaged, exactly like the photo. My problem has been understanding how to do anything with the tools, including what most of these tools do. There are no instructions in the kit, just an URL to a website that has a couple of sketches of how to take a back off, several of the sketches refer to tools not even in this kit. Other than that you're on your own. I'd say 80% of the tools in this kit I still don't have any idea how to use. The case wrench (finally figured that one out) is decent but not big enough for my dive watch, which is quite large. And there is no case press in the kit, which I think is essential: You get the backs off and figure out what batteries are needed; but how do you get the backs on again (if they're "snap backs") without a press? I used a C-clamp from my workbench but that's dangerous. So now I'm looking for a case press.

The case and foam case liner are of a very low quality. The tools are a little better.



The internal foam liner did not have the correct cut-outs to allow the tools to fit snugly. Some of the tools were in pieces and had to be reassembled. I've used a few of the tools and they didn't break, however they both look & feel a little cheap.



If I could do it over, I'd buy the kit without the case and save a few bucks or I'd buy better quality tools separately rather than in kit form.

You get what you pay for. Not very good quality but it will get the job done. I bent every little punch that I used but they were good enough quality to be bent back into shape without breaking. The watch band "sizer" seems too flimsy and the handle cover kept falling off under pressure but it did work. Nice case to hold all the little parts (probably my favorite part). Lacks a good needle nose pliers for pulling pins all the way out. Less expensive than taking it to a jeweler or store to have your watch fixed or watch band sized.

This is a great kit and will save you a lot of money on watch repairs. There are no instructions, but it is pretty easy to figure out what the tools are for and how to use them. I removed links from my Bulova watch, changed batteries in 9 watches, and changed watch bands on 4 watches. It saves lots of time and money from going to a jeweler to have such simple things done. It has more than paid for itself. I recommend this product if you have a lot of watches like we do.

Great value for the price. So far, I've swapped bands, removed links from a metal bracelet, and changed a battery. For the most part, I didn't have any trouble.



Pros:

There are easily $20 worth of replacement pins in this set.

The case is solid and everything fits snugly.

Replacement tips for the tools are a plus/necessity (see below)



Cons:

Mine came without the card with a link to online instructions.

The site that was recommended in some of the other reviews has some basic information but isn't tailored toward this set. There's no description of how to use some of the tools.

I snapped the tips off of the spring bar tool on the first shot (it was a particularly tricky metal bracelet). Luckily there's a replacement tip.



Given how much money I saved on a replacement band on Amazon over my local shop, combined with what they'd charge to change or adjust a band, this was a solid investment. It's paid for itself already.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Watch Band Remover Watch Band Remover Watch Band Remover