Saturday 11 June 2011

Windows 7 Starter - one, aspire


Awesome netbook, I highly recommend it. I just got it and its fast fun, great for pretty much everything I'm looking to do, mainly internet, videos, photos and such. Haven't fully tested the battery life yet, but seems to be at the 8 hour mark at least. Keyboard is big for a netbook not many accidental key strokes, however again the arrow keys are too small for a 2 year old.



The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 was same as the other people.



A. The speakers are crap and hardly worth the 2 cents they paid the chinese kid to put them in. Didn't expect much but got even less.



B. It's a little flimsy if you push on the back of the screen while its on you can see your finger move through the screen. But again what do you expect for the money. (in its defense my last laptop was a toughbook so i may be a little bias on that aspect as most netbooks are a little flimsy)



C. Last but not least Acer you really screwed up on this.... cause you had it right before. My ex girlfriend had the ACER model before this and thats why I decided to buy one, she loved it I loved it it was awesome I believe the model number started with a11 something. I ordered the 2gb ram with hers and it was the easiest thing in the world to install. 2 screws on the bottom a plate pops out boom old ram out new ram in 1 minute installation.



This stupidly designed thing requires you to pop all these little tiny clips holding the keyboard in and wedge it up with a credit card. Then unscrew 4 screws one of which is directly next to the keyboard ribbon which just makes it harder and makes you nervous to screw it up. Then you have to pop out the entire plate off the bottom, old ram out new ram in, and then reverse the steps, popping plate back on, screws and then keyboard. Its not hard by any means a 6 year old chinese kid made the thing so I would think any respectable adult should be able to handle it (smaller hands definitely makes it easier). But when you have a brand new laptop you really don't want to risk screwing it up and I don't know why you would need to disassemble half the damn thing to do it.



Thats my only gripe...... and with 2gb of memory ($25 upgrade on amazon) I think its pretty damn amazing, highly recommend it to anyone that is in the netbook market, its the cheapest for its specs and at current I have no complaints with it. So buy the damn thing... Acer Aspire One AOD255E-1802 10.1-Inch Netbook (Diamond Black)

Very well made! Works fast with MS Office 2010! The N550 CPU is great.



I upgraded the memory to 2GB and it made it lots faster. My Windows 7 starter edition performance score went from 2.0 to 2.9. The increase was mainly in graphics performance.



Screen is crisp and very readable. I couldn't be more pleased with this netbook.



Goto below for memory upgrade instructions.

[...]

This is powered by dual core N550 processor. overall netbook is very light and compact. Just perfect screen and 1.3Mp webcam.

I am able to play 720p Videos without any issue. I am not sure about Battery life, but with current drain it should clear 8 hour mark. ( I got this Netbook yesterday - 1st Feb 2011)

I feel it very hard to upgrade the memory since there is no memory slot on the back of the netbook, Some minor issues are tiny arrow keys and feeble speakers.





Positives:

- Dual core Atom N550 processor.

- perfect screen and 1.3 MP webcam.

- Large mouse pad for the netbook

- Light and easy to handle & easy to carry it around

- Long battery

- Can handle 720P HD Video



Negatives:

- Touch pad buttons hard to click

- feeble speakers, can not get stereo effect. ( can not make out L-R speakers)

- Arrow keys are very small.

- Runs hot with HD Video





I am happy with the purchase so far. Worth for the amount paid

I just got this item today and while I think I'm going to like it, it has some pros and cons.

I am a truck driver and wanted something smaller than my full sized laptop to use inside the truck for some basic things such as writing and watching movies. I decided to order a Liteon external top loading cd/dvd burner, so if I picked up a movie on the road, I could just plug in the player and watch. Well, after getting the netbook set up, I plugged in the player and discovered that Windows 7 Starter does not support playing dvd's. The computer recognized the burner and the dvd I had inserted, it just refused to play it! The only options I was given was to purchase the necessary codex to play dvd's or upgrade to a higher level of Windows 7. This did not make me happy. I jumped on the internet and found this was a problem many people were encountering with their new netbook purchases. It did not matter what brand netbook. The problem is with Windows 7 Starter! I quickly found a fix through the advice of others. I simply downloaded a free media player. I went with the "VLC Media Player" and it is working fine!



My only other complaint is that the A/C adapter that came with this purchase is made for an asian power socket. They do provide you with an adapter for the adapter, which allows you to use standard US power sockets. I just find this a bit unnecessary. Why didn't they simply provide an A/C adapter that was made for US socket? Also, this adapter is made where if you want to use it on a power strip, you have to use the outlet on the end of the strip or the body of the adapter will cover several of the other outlets on the strip. I had to rearrange all my devices power cords in order to use this.



As I use my netbook, I will update this review as I learn more about it. So far the netbook itself seems wonderful. Light, powerful and a great screen with which to watch movies. I hope there are no other bad surprises like how pitiful Windows 7 Starter is, and the inappropriate overseas power cord. If I find no more problems, I think this purchase will be a very good one! I do suggest you do a little research on Windows 7 Starter before making this purchase. - One - Aspire - Netbooks - Windows 7 Starter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information